Need sale/trade advice...
Jun 20, 2006 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Xanatos

100+ Head-Fier
I have a few headphones and other misc items that I'd like to put up in the sale/trade forums, and I would like some advice. I've never sold anything like this or through ebay.

How should I accept payment and whatnot (I'm thinking paypal)? And where would I go to get packaging materials? How does a typical sale go? I'd appreciate any other tips. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 8
Paypal would probably be your safest best (relatively). You can get materials at any walgreens/walmart or similar, and of course, the post office. You typically negotiate price, form of payment, exchange address/contact info, and stuff. Make sure you check out the feedback of a buyer before going through, if he seems questionable....

Jun 20, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 8
I keep some boxes and packing peanuts from my online purchases for when I need to ship stuff out.

Jun 20, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Paypal is not the only option. I personally do not have paypal, but have been buying selling lately, and checks are fine (if it's somebody local to you and not more then a few bucks), and money orders are the way to go in more serious situations (money orders can't bounce), although fakes do exist.

Jun 20, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 8
If you accept paypal make sure to ship only to a confirmed address. Paypal only allows members in the United States, Canada, and the UK to get a confirmed address. If the item sells for less than $200 or $250 (call paypal to confirm about amount) you need to ship with online tracking confirmation otherwise you won't have seller protection. If the item is more than $200 or $250, you need online tracking plus the buyer's signature viewable online too as proof to get the protection. Paypal doesn't accept any type of hardcopy delivery confirmation beside those that are viewable online. And shipping this way is almost way too expensive to ship stuff overseas.

Jun 20, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
I keep some boxes and packing peanuts from my online purchases for when I need to ship stuff out.

X2. I usually wrap eveything I send out first in bubble wrap, then a gallon ziploc to keep out any liquid from spills or whatnot then wrap it again in bubblewrap then use packing peanuts to fill in any spaces, then stick all of it into an extra box that I have laying around. Although sometimes I do use the flat-rate bos form USPS since it sometimes saves money. When I do online transactions I only take Paypal, it protects you if the buyer is a scammer and if you're the buyer it protects you if the seller is a scammer (You're credit card company can usually do this as well). I usually do not accept or send checks or money orders because there are just so many variables that can go wrong. If I'm doing a deal locally then I only accept cash or maybe a check if I'm friends with the guy or gal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back