Need replacement for HD600s!
Aug 13, 2005 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

monsieurguzel

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello all, i am in a big dilemna as i am about to start architecture school next semester and need a replacement for my HD 600s. Since i will be in studio all the time next to others working, i cannot use the HD600s because others always complain how loud they get. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should go for ? I was thinking a pair of grados (or HD 595s?). Also i would preferably not want to use an amp w/ my laptop since it gets messy w/ all the cables
wink.gif

I listen to rock, lounge, and dance music sometimes. Hoping to find a pair of headphones that would go for about $200 used.

Thanx a bunch.

Aug 13, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 10
Both the 595s and any grado Sr line leaks a lot. The 595s are less than the grado leakage. The 595s comparably would probably have a few benefits over 600s, yet overall the 600s are a better headphone IMO

Aug 13, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 10
I actually thought that grados leak a lot less than HD600s when i tried them on once. The 600s are just so open that ppl next to mear hear them as well as i do when i have them on! Also, dont the DT770s need an amp since they have a 250 ohm impedence?

Aug 13, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 10
Why not just closed headphones? Any open air phones are going to leak bunches... I just got a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900s, they're considered to be at the very top of sub $200 phones and can be found used on Head-fi for around $150.

Aug 13, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 10
I second the HD 25-1's..

Excellent isolation.. You will hear nothing surrounding you (I couldn't hear my phone ringing right beside me), and nobody will hear what you have playing..

But they are brighter than the 600's, less laid-back..

They are also not full-size, but earphones, so it gets a little uncomfortable on the ears.. That's why I got rid of mine, even though they sounded awesome..

They are also not half as hard to drive, and so an amp isn't AS neccesary..

Aug 14, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 10
Ok, so from the feedback you have given me, i'm seriously thinking between the ATH-A900 and the HD-25. I'm really tempted with the A900s coz they look so much better than the senns, but how do the two compare?

Aug 14, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 10
The DT880's are $229 new from B&H and are a good substitute for the 600's, and although they have some load, they can be driven without an amp.
Also, the Ety ER4P's are a great headphone that is easy to drive, sounds great, and has no leakage whatsoever.
The 595's have a unique sound that is nothing like the 600's, but it might be a sound that you like...but they are totally different. Maybe you can demo them, somewhere.

Aug 14, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 10
I haven't tried the Beyers, but they DO look more comfortable..

Ideally I'd try them both, but maybe try the Beyers first, if that's where you're leaning..

The HD's clamp pretty hard to the head, but you can break them in by stretching them out a bit (put them on a basketball, put a stack of books between them about 1.5 the size of a head, etc)..

And if you don't want to pay for a decent amp, the 25-1's would be the one to get..

Ety's will not have that "visceral", palpable bass that you will get from the Beyers and HD's..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back