Need replacement for 10 year old broken Philips HP890. Good sound, comfortable and not that expensive.
Feb 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mystvearn

New Head-Fier
I have been using the Philips HP890 for about 10 years now. Then the arm broke between the silver ring and the body above. More pictures in another thread. I tried superglue, and duck tape-did not work. Superglue does work at all while with duck tape does work, but the joints slowly loosen and now the right cup does not even cover my ears now. If someone knows how to fix this, I'd gladly try anything.

Can someone recommend me a similar headphones as the HP890? I like the velvet cushions used on this. I think the Audio-Technica ATH 700 comes to mind. I don't mind those faux leather material, but I don't like a sweaty headphone if I'm going to use it for 2-3 hours. The HP890 actually sound quite good. It may be slightly heavy but once you wear them, you forget they are on and immerse in the sound.

Can anyone recommend me a replacement for the HP890. I don't mind splashing up to $200 but the phones will be my only over ear phones. I already have a pair of Sony in-ears for travel. Usage is mainly for music and is mostly attached to the home desktop.

Thank you

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I have been using the Philips HP890 for about 10 years now. Then the arm broke between the silver ring and the body above. More pictures in another thread. I tried superglue, and duck tape-did not work. Superglue does work at all while with duck tape does work, but the joints slowly loosen and now the right cup does not even cover my ears now. If someone knows how to fix this, I'd gladly try anything.

Can someone recommend me a similar headphones as the HP890? I like the velvet cushions used on this. I think the Audio-Technica ATH 700 comes to mind. I don't mind those faux leather material, but I don't like a sweaty headphone if I'm going to use it for 2-3 hours. The HP890 actually sound quite good. It may be slightly heavy but once you wear them, you forget they are on and immerse in the sound.

Can anyone recommend me a replacement for the HP890. I don't mind splashing up to $200 but the phones will be my only over ear phones. I already have a pair of Sony in-ears for travel. Usage is mainly for music and is mostly attached to the home desktop.

Thank you

Heya,

Sony MA900

Very best,

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 7
Thank you for the reply. I've checked the Sony. Is it true that the phones leak sound? I would like something that does not leak sound as it defeats the purpose of using the headphones and not disturbing others. :)

I was thinking of the Audio Technica AD700. It looks a lot like my Philips 890. However it seems those leak as well. I will continue in the recommendation thread as I don't think it is possible to fix this. Thanks again.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I've checked the Sony. Is it true that the phones leak sound? I would like something that does not leak sound as it defeats the purpose of using the headphones and not disturbing others. :)

I was thinking of the Audio Technica AD700. It looks a lot like my Philips 890. However it seems those leak as well. I will continue in the recommendation thread as I don't think it is possible to fix this. Thanks again.

You realize the AD700 is fully open, it will leak sound the same as the MA900. Also, the AD700 has very poor response under 100hz. I would not bother with it.

If you want a closed headphone, look at the AudioTechnica A700X or A900X. And get some velour pads to swap.

Or look into AKG K271 MKII (it comes with velour & leather pads).

Very best,

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 7
I recently purchased used philips hp890. I was surprised how bad it was. Big headphones with angled drivers etc...i expected more. Im new to this headphone hobby and ive listened to mostly newer headphones(exluding some higher end former flagships that are still quality stuff)...so im guessing that headphones have gotten alot better in past 10 years. Try takstar 2050. It has velour kind pads...quite similar to philips. It is a fullsize circumaural headphone but headband doesnt extend that much. Could be a problem if you have a bigger head than average. If you feel like minimising the sound leakage check if jaycar has any of their pro monitor headphones left. Those digitech headphones are same as fischer audio fa-003 and brainwavz hm5 that are well regarded here...but those are alot cheeaper.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 7
maybe the used hp890 you bought was a bad unit?

10 years is a long time for headphones to get better. The takstar 2050 look good as well. Added that to the shortlist. Thanks :)

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 7
I suppose it is possible that i bought a faulty unit or perhaps those headphones had reached end of their life span. I put them out of their misery and tore the headphones apart. The hinges were perfect for my unfinished modding project :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back