need replacement cheap phones for < $10....
Feb 11, 2004 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pianoplayer88key

100+ Head-Fier
the pair that came with my Sony D-NS921F had served me quite well but it is now only working in one ear. The earbuds that came with my Pogo RipFlash Plus are very uncomfortable (and have pretty much no bass response unless I turn on the bass boost on my AM radio), so I need to get another pair. I would like one with an over-the-head headband, and at this price, I just need something that will be functional and last me for a while until I can do some more research and possibly actually buy a pair of headphones in the $150-$200 range (btw I've been "ear'ing" the Bose Triports, which I liked somewhat last time I heard them, but they're the only sealed ones in that price range that I remember I've heard.
So... what would be a good pair for < $10? I probably will get them at a local Fry's, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Office Depot, Comp USA, Radio Shack, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc...

In the meantime, would Guitar Center or Fry's be a good place to check for a circum-aural, sealed, sensitive, wide frequency response and good sound, headphone in the $150 to $200 range?

on an unrelated note, my dad needs a new monitor for his computer (which I regularly use. I'm on my brother's computer right now) and doesn't want to spend more than $300. He was thinking maybe an LCD, but I would prefer a CRT based on reviews I've read on a few sites. I would be playing some games on it, and doing some graphics stuff. I've been eyeing the Viewsonic P95F+ or P95F+B or something like that, but what would be a possibly good one, or could someone steer me to a board where I could repost the question?

Feb 11, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Don't know much of decent quality for $10. Your friendly neighborhood spi...err Cambridge Soundworks has a Senn MX series (can't remember if it's 400 or 500) which will get you close, but be a couple dollars more. Maybe CC or Good Guys will too. On a side note, Frys seems to be one of the few to stock Sony V6s (not V600s).

I'm a fan of Viewsonic or Mitsubishi higher model monitors.

Feb 11, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 12
I understand that I'm not going to get much for $10, but I need to get something to tide me over until I get a $150-$200 pair.

Can you point me to any decent model Mitsubishi's? (also would Sony or Nec or any other brands be good?) I would like to get at least 85Hz at 1600x1200.

Also this thread should have been posted in the headphones forum not the portable audio forum... could the powers that be move it?

Feb 11, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 12
For phones around 10,your choices are probably mx300 or ksc 50/55, different stores will have different prices. The price will probably be around $15 unless you find a good deal, I do not think there are any decent phones under $10 at regular price.

As for monitors, the monitor you naed is an excellent monitor. The displays section in www.hardforums.com would be an excellent place to ask your question, or maybe there already is a thread on it..

Feb 11, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 12
Anandtech forum is aslo a good place to aske about monitors. If I were you I'd go to sennheiserusa.com and grab the mx400 earbuds which are $9.99 with free shipping or else I'd grab the same phones from newegg.comfor about $13 shipped. They are far superior to anything in the <$10 range.

Feb 11, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 12
The MX300 senns is pretty decent for 9.99 I think, there was a Rat Shack, a Nova (I don't know what else), it was an inside the ear headphone, with a foldable metal headband, that sounded decent, 16ohms though, and it was discontinued long time ago..if you can grab any from any surplus or any Rat shack old stock, it should be fine, the regular price at that time was 15.00 IIRC, don't know about the new RS models....

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by modestninja
One more thing, the Bose triports definetely aren't the best sounding headphone in the $150-$200 range. By sealed I assume you mean closed headphones, phones like the AT A900, HFI-650, and others recommended. Heres an old thread I found using the "search" function that may be of some assistance to you.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ed+%24200+best

Yes, I mean sealed / closed / etc. At first several months ago when I was looking I was looking at the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, but now I think I might be able to spend a bit more $. I have no plans of getting an amp, cause I don't want the extra bulk to clip on me / put in my pocket, and I don't believe skimping on the headphones so I can get an amp is justifiable at my price range. I'd like to keep it to the lower end of the $150-200 range if possible but am willing to go toward the high end if the headphones are a lot better than the cheaper ones.
I would want to try them out in person, so I would probably go to a local store in San Diego, CA, armed with my Pogo RipFlash Plus, my Sony SRF-42 (tuned to Radio Disney Stereo AM 1110 KDIS Pasadena / Los Angeles depending on if I can get the signal), my Panasonic RQ-SW20 radio/tape player, and some music. Any suggestions for stores to patronize? I have heard reviews on the Sony V6, and might try a pair if I get into Fry's, but I am willing to spend more. However, if the $200 headphones are only on par with the V6 or the V6 is better, I might be tempted to go with the V6. Is it a sealed headphone?

BTW... I went into Radio Shack today and got a pair of Titanium Pro 35A headphones for $20 (half price). So far they're serving my immediate needs adequately, and hopefully they'll last at least for a while I look around for a better pair in my previously stated price range.

Feb 12, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 12
I second Sennheiser Headmax MX300s but i'd double that budget and go for the 400/500s in same range. Much better.

Koss KSC-35s are highly spoken of around here so you may also want to check out a pair of those although i'm not sure on the price.

Feb 15, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 12
I got pair of over the ear Jensens @ Electronics Boutique (Videogame shop)
for $20 Canadian. They sound decent, especially with a new cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back