Need recommendations -
Jul 28, 2007 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Albatross05

100+ Head-Fier
Ok.....this might be a little lengthy but I'll try and keep it down to just the necessary info.

I need some cans for under $170. ($USD) Sounds simple. Right? Well, first of all, they cannot be IEMs, Canalphones, whatever. If they go in your ears, I can't use them. Here are some of my other requirements.

1. They really need to be circumaural. They must be comfortable. I have HD-497s right now and I really like the sound but the comfort is positively killing me! They smash my ears flat and I can't stand it. This is the main thing I have against Grados. I have always wanted a good circumairal 'phone and have never been able to find anything that satisfied all of my requirements.

2. As above, they need to sound at least as good as the 497s.

3. I'd prefer not to have to order them. If someone knows of a good can that's widely available in well known national chain stores, that'd be ideal. I might order them if I have to but it would have to be from a reputable dealer.

4. They must not require an amp. Period. I need to be able to drive them with my portable or my computer at least to reasonable listening volume. (Portable is a Sansa e260. May get an iPod or something later).

I was thinking about the 555 but 50 Ohms seems a little high for portable use and I don't know if I like the idea of the huge plug.

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 21
I would go to a local Guitar Center and just demo any can that strikes your fancy. Their web site says they carry Audio Technicas, AKGs, and Senns but sometimes it's difficult to find them in store. But it's worth a shot.

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 21
Thanks. The only problem with that is that my local Guitar Center doesn't accept returns unless the headphones are defective. I don't know if I want to take that kind of chance or not. I bought a set from them on impulse a while back and ended up hating them.

Jul 28, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 21
The HD595 would sound alright out of most portable players, but I can't recommend it for portable use. They are far too big IMO. Circumaural and portable usually don't mix. If you were to consider supraaural (rest on your ears) phones, then the choices open up a little. The ATH-ES7 is getting rave reviews at the moment, and are supposed to be pretty comfortable. You would probably have to order them though. Also, 50 ohms isn't too hard of a demand for most portable players to drive. The KSC-75 is 60 ohm, and is highly recommended for portable use.

Jul 28, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 21
595 is a great can but it kinda does need an amp to get the most out of it. Ideally you should be looking at Audio Technica cans, something like the AD700 (open), A900 (closed) etc. They are extremely comfy, cover the entire ear, work very well with no amp, fit your budget, sound very good, sound good with all sorts of music, have very good tight bass. You may be able to find them in Guitar Center, Radio Shack may have them online also but they tend to be very overpriced compared to say audiocubes.

Jul 28, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 21
Well, I actually don't worry about how they look. Comfort is the main factor (well, sound is big too). I wear my potable around the house mostly. I just like to use it because I'm not connected to anything and can move freely about.

So. Would the 555 be a better choice than the 595 if I don't intend to get an amp? I think Amazon has a pretty good deal on them.

Jul 28, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 21
AD700 > 555, AT AD700s go for $110 which is a pretty good deal for what one is getting.
555 will still sound better w/ an amp, though one can drive them w/o an amp.

Jul 28, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 21
OK. Let me see if I can put this question the right way. I like to listen at moderate volume levels. I have tinnitus so I can't listen really loud anyway and if it gets too loud, I tend to get fatigued pretty quickly.

However, it bothers me if I have to set my volume control near max to get a decent amount of volume. Lets say a bit louder than a conversation in a quiet room. Maybe a little louder than that at times.

So. My question is - In what way do 'phones like the 555 benefit from amplification? Do these cans really need a volume boost or are the unamped deficiencies more subtle? I think that's maybe the best way to put the question. Am I going to get sufficient volume out of these cans unamped? When someone says you can drive them without an amp, that might just mean they'll make sound. Are they pleasant to listen to without an amp? Am I going to always feel like I need to turn them up farther than my volume control allows? I've just about decided to get them and take a chance. Just kinda wanting a bit more info. All reviews say they could use an amp. My 497s probably could too but they sound great without one.

Jul 28, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 21
I love my 580's, there such a great headphone, great bass, everything sounds good.

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthR6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ideally you should be looking at Audio Technica cans, something like the AD700 (open),

Wow! Just looked them up. Those really look ideal!

Edit - I was looking around at some reviews. A couple of people said they're not adjustable to fit smaller heads, Is this so? I find it hard to believe cans in that price range wouldn't be adjustable.

Another Edit - How about the Koss UR 40? I know they're probably not spectacular headphones but people rant and rave over the KSC 75s and these are supposed to have the same drivers. At least I could probably pick them up locally. I think Radio Shack has them (If I can find them nowhere else). The price is tempting but I dunno. Radio Shack's price is around $50. Are they worth that much?

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #13 of 21
The AT cans tend to fit very well. They have the 3d wing design and that works really really good, even for small heads. If anything a really big head might have a problem w/ the 3d wings. Out of all my cans my A500s are still the most comfortable I own.

UR40 do sound very good, perhaps not as good as a KSC75 but close. Though comfort may be an issue w/ them. They don't totally fit over one's ear. They may partially sit on the ear if one has big ears. I had the same problems w/ HD485 and had to sell them
frown.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albatross05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However, it bothers me if I have to set my volume control near max to get a decent amount of volume. Lets say a bit louder than a conversation in a quiet room. Maybe a little louder than that at times.

So. My question is - In what way do 'phones like the 555 benefit from amplification? Do these cans really need a volume boost or are the unamped deficiencies more subtle? I think that's maybe the best way to put the question. Am I going to get sufficient volume out of these cans unamped? When someone says you can drive them without an amp, that might just mean they'll make sound. Are they pleasant to listen to without an amp? Am I going to always feel like I need to turn them up farther than my volume control allows? I've just about decided to get them and take a chance. Just kinda wanting a bit more info. All reviews say they could use an amp. My 497s probably could too but they sound great without one.

Well almost every can benefits from an amp. Some cans more then others, it depends on there impedance for the most part, some exceptions like the HD595. A can like the HD555 probably won't benefit as much as say a HD580. The there are several benefits to an amp. One being that you wouldn't need to max out the volume on the source. The other is detail, smoothness, range, bass, in general sound quality should all be extended. Good amps tend to bring out the best of the cans. Some people even pair certain amps w/ certain cans to bring out the best synergy. An example would be pairing a Gilmore lite to a HD595 which work very well together.

Jul 30, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #15 of 21
Stealth - Thank you for your patience and trying to help (along with everyone else). I really appreciate it.

I was thinking that maybe I should just go ahead and get the ones I really want and if I absolutely have to have amplification, I could get that a little later on.

So. I was looking at the Sennheisers. They really look very comfortable. Between the 555 and 595, which is the better value? Both are 50 Ohms. Both look very similar. There's only about, maybe $50 difference in the price.

Again - I'm quite pleased with the Sennheiser 497 so if their sound is even close to equivalent, it could be a happy marriage.

I listen to a lot of Pink Floyd. I also listen to some Classical and I seem to be listening to more and more pop. I don't stray too far from Rock and Classic Rock although I like some piano and acoustic guitar. I never listen to metal. I also listen to a lot of that "relaxation" music. Flutes and waterfalls and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back