Need recommendations on $200-350 cans
Sep 24, 2006 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Nasir

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there, I'm interested in purchasing a new set of headphones. The price range I'm looking at is somewhere between $200 and $350, preferrably closer to $200. This will be my first "real" set of headphones (previously, I've only owned the stock headphones that come with CD players which I don't really count and a Sennheiser PC160 headset) so I'll be needing some recommendations.

I'll be playing the music through my PC's audio jack (Asus mobo onboard) through iTunes for now. In the future, I plan on buying an X-Fi as well as an iPod (although I'll probably buy some IEMs at that time for iPod use out of my house). Amps are a possiblity, but I really don't know enough on them to make a decision now.

I'll be using these headphones almost entirely in my own house, so I don't really mind whether they're closed or open. Comfort is important to me.

Almost all music listened to will be MP3s. Most are at least 192 kbps, some will be higher, maybe a third of what I listen to is VBR, very few are at the 128-160 kbps level.

Type of music I listen to: rock (alternative, progressive, hard, post-harcore, indie, punk), metal (progressive, power metal, heavy metal), some electronic/electronica, some rappers, and some classical music.

I don't plan to watch many movies or play many games with the headphones, music performance really is what matters to me.

Right now, what I think I should be looking at are the Senn HD595, Beyerdynamic DT770, Beyerdynamic DT880, Audio-Technica A900, Sennheiser HD650, AKG K601, or AKG K701 (long list, but that's all I could come up with from my own research). I really don't have a clue though between them or if they're even the right ones to go for, so this is where I hope you guys come in.
cool.gif

This is a sort of long post, I know, I apologize for that. Thanks in advance for any help all you experts can give.
600smile.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 41
Considering that you won't be driving them with a powerful amp, that your source isn't the best, and the kind of music you like, I don't think the HD650s/K601s/K701s would fit the bill. I haven't heard these headphones, but I believe they would be too polite/not upfront enough for your music preference. If I was in your situation I'd look at Grados/Allesandros. The only problem is that you might have issues with comfort (I've tried the SR80s with bowls and they weren't very comfortable; comfies/flat pads would probably be more comfortable). These also won't have a large soundstage, but I'm not sure if you'd notice considering you probably haven't heard a headphone soundstage before (Or you might not just care and prefer the upfront sound).

I'd suggest looking into the SR225, SR325i, and the Allesandro MS2i.

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 41
Continuing with the Grado theme; the first that comes to mind are the $200 SR-125. These are more comfortable and lighter than the 2nd Grado, the Alessandro MS2i. I would have suggested the Grado SR-325i, but you slipped "classical" in there!! The SR-325i is a bit livelier than the MS2i which is perhaps better able to handle a wider range of music. They both go for about $300. Amps are helpfull, but not an extreme necessity right away with these Grados.

I'm also partial toward the K701 for a good all-arounder. But an amp would more likely be required.

....that's right; almost forgot; comfort! Grados aren't known for their fabulous comfort! No, Really!! Some folks don't find them very comfortable at all. I'm not one of them. I, uh, wore my MS2i for a fourteen hour marathon listening session while re-discovering my CD collection a few days back....and that was with.....bowls.

I used HD 414 reversed pads on my MS-1s and they were great, super comfortable!!(by Grado standards) They can work on all Grados, but sonic performance may suffer.

But Yeah, a lot of people feel Grado are uncomfortable, so I guess there must be something to it!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Continuing with the Grado theme; the first that comes to mind are the $200 SR-125. These are more comfortable and lighter than the 2nd Grado, the Alessandro MS2i. I would have suggested the Grado SR-325i, but you slipped "classical" in there!! The SR-325i is a bit livelier than the MS2i which is perhaps better able to handle a wider range of music. They both go for about $300. Amps are helpfull, but not an extreme necessity right away with these Grados.

I'm also partial toward the K701 for a good all-arounder. But an amp would more likely be required.

The 125s are $150. The 225s are $200. The 325i/MS2i are $300.

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
The 125s are $150. The 225s are $200. The 325i/MS2i are $300.

...ouch....I hit a "1" instead of a "2" there....yeah; should have been SR-225 at $200......my bad.
plainface.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #7 of 41
the senn 595 should be high on your list. they sound good, are versatile, they're comfortable, and with the 50 ohm version an amp isn't an absolute necessity, although it will improve things.

Sep 24, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 41
Alessandro MS2i. Because of small soundstage, huge classical orchestras sound very compressed, but for other genres they are extremely good and are not really picky about amplifier (though amplifier DOES help a lot in soundquality.)

Beyerdynamic DT990 '05 version would be better since it also does classical very well, but headphone amplifier is definetly required.

HD595 is versatile and cheap, and not picky on amplifier, but sounds very boring and soft (as sennheisers always) on rock and metal.

Sep 24, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 41
I should have made this clearer, although I listen to classical music on occasion, it is just that, from time to time. Most of what I listen to is rock or metal.

Right now, I'm really looking for a comfortable set of cans. I haven't used any Grados myself, but from what I've read, most find them to be uncomfortable. I don't have any experience with doing mods on headphones, so I'm a bit weary of doing so on my first pair, especially considering how much they cost. So yeah, comfort is a big issue for me.

Pertaining amps, I don't have a clue about which one to get, how much to spend on them (I am very new to high fidelity stuff), so I'd probably want some headphones that'll sound good through just an X-Fi for now, unless, the amp+headphone can be found for less that $350, and the amp will be good for future headphone purchases as well. Again, in the future, amps are always a possibility.

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 41
Also, sorry if this is a really newbie type question, but how much do nice amps typically cost? I went to headphone.com and their desktop lines were around $500, way too much for me. Is that about right?

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 41
For the price, I would recommend a good PINT amp...you can read up on some recent impressions here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199254 You can get a new one for around $125 and it'll compete with amps 2-3x its price. I have a feeling you'd be pretty amazed at what a good amp will do when added to your current setup.

EDIT: oh, let me also add that the For Sale forum here should be your best friend...used equipment is the way to go in this business

Users who are viewing this thread

Back