Need recommendations for sub $100 comfortable over ear set
Feb 18, 2014 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

notetwosurface

New Head-Fier
New to the world of head Fi and don't quite know all the terms yet but I believe I am looking for a pair of circumaural headphones, by which I mean surrounding my ears with minimal or no touching.

Priorities.
1. Comfort. If anyone has felt the base AE2 or AE2i models, I'm looking for that level of ear surrounding comfort. I wear headphones around 6 hours per day, and on ear headphones just won't cut it. Over ear over all.
2. Sound. Need a good all rounder, need good bass and vocal clarity. Nothing extreme, just something good at everything.
3. Price. Not spending more than 150. Broke college student been saving for quite a while.

Wants.
Good isolation. Want something that doesn't leak sound and keeps outside noise to a minimum.
Durability. Want these to last a while, two years or more.
Portability. Folding for travel would be a huge plus. But would rather have comfortable isolation.

Currently considering:
Sennheiser HD-280's
Creative Aurvana live!'s
Audio technica ATH-M50's/M30's

Open to suggestions. Thanks for reading!

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 17
I was just in Best Buy yesterday and tried the HD-280s and ouch! The clamping force was big and I have a smallish head. Didn't listen to the sound because of it.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 17
People say that lives have a better sound stage then the m50's and I can believe that. Sense I own them I feel that the layering isn't superb and could be quite better. The lives are priced nicely and with an amp (if it fits your budget) would really shine.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 17
I can budget for an amp, do they sound bad without one, would they be good without an amp? I know nothing about amps, and I need it to be portable, I.e. on the bus. Recommendations for a budget one? Thanks!

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 17
Hi,

Here's a list of closed cans that are comfortable in that price range:
Sennheiser HD428
Creative Aurvana Live

Make sure you check out the new AudioTechnica M30x, and M40x
I think the M40x has a removable cable. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 17
They do have a removable cable but their price is higher then their older model and it doesn't really change all that much, even when u need a mobile pair of phones. Also the lives would sound much better with an amp. Amps truly bring your headphones to life. They give your headphones clearer sound and a more powerful bass. Lives have a more refined bass and could use an amp. Fiio makes great amps, look at the e6, their good with a descent price tag

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 17
Never thought of the m 40 or the 428's will check them out

M30x s look really good, folds for portability.
Hd428's look nice as well. I have options to consider.

I don't know why in all threads the M50 is recommended for all. Is a headphone that HAVE CONS. Comfort is NOT a strong point in the M50. People complains that the ears got sweaty and the clamp pressure is high, even with a stretched m50 some people have experienced discomfort with it.

+1 CAL! with an amp (Fiio E6 maybe)
+1 Sennheiser HD429, 439, 449

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 17
Thanks for the heads up on the m50's the ear cups look too circular. I think the 428s and the m40's will fit better.

Cal with fiio E6 seems too bulky for everyday use. M40x/M30x look really good. Will look at 429s and 428s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back