Need recommendations for setup
Feb 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ic3m4n2005

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

i'm new here and to DIY, but after clicking through the threads and seeing the awesome work many of you are doing i thought, why not give it a try.
I've soldered a few volt mods on motherboards, so i know how to hold a soldering iron but i'm really a beginner when i comes to this. There quite a few very good how-tos and guides, so i think i will manage (and maybe ask you guys for help if necessary :) ).

Ok, my setup consists currently of an X-Fi Xtrememusic and a Audio Technica A900. My brother owns a B-Tech Headphone amp i might or might not get my hands on :)

My goal is to get a really good setup for listening to music, which consists of mostly rock, metal or something similar, but other things aswell, e.g. some good oldies from the 70's or 80's.
Recommendations are very welcome, here is what i thought of. Mod the X-Fi (there are guides, but if there is something important to do or don't do, tell me just to be sure :) ) and built a simple amp a first.
I thought of the Eaton, since there is a really nice guide on a german webside. Not that i couldn't folloow an english one, but getting the right parts is sometimes difficult here.
I would like to know i recabling the phones will help and if there is a chance to get new pads for them, after a few years the old ones are falling apart.
Maybe in the future i'll try something like a dac or a tube amp, but first steps first :)

I have a cheap soldering iron including tin and a desoldering pump, you know one of these sets for a few dollars. Will get myself a digital soldering station with a 0.8 mm tip and around 50w. Do i need something else, like special tin or so ?

If i forgot something, feel free to tell me :wink:

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 4
Since nobody responded, here a few more specific questions.

1. The famous Blackgate caps are no longer available, so what should i use instead to replace the power cap on my X-Fi ?

2. Would be nice to know the best sounding opamps for my X-Fi, if i can't get the one specified in the guide.

3. Will get myself an Ayoue 937+ with a 0,2 mm tip, since i don't solder very often. Is the tip size ok or is there another soldering station in this price range which would be better ?

4. Would my AT A900 benefit from recabling ?

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 4
Ok thanks, just thought about it, since many users here do it and a have to replace my pads, so i would just take them further apart
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back