Need recommendations for portable over-ear cans for lossless audio
Jun 29, 2011 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JBThazard

Head-Fier
I use a 160gb ipod and I've recently been re-ripping my CD library into Apple Lossless and downloading many of my favorite albums into FLAC, and then convert to ALAC. I use these headphones : http://www.usa.philips.com/c/headphones/sho9560_28/prd/en/;jsessionid=29AAC42F8CD9F67A43FC40D660EB4A5F.app102-drp4

They're comfy and durable but offer average quality listening. I need a good pair of over ear headphones that will really help me hear the difference between mp3 and lossless audio. And please no incessant comments about using ogg or mp3 320 instead, because I have a lot of albums in 24bit/96khz and I seriously want to hear near-analog quality music on my portable player. 

I've been told that a portable headphone amp is recommended for using lossless files on an Ipod. Is it true that even with good headphones, I won't get full quality or power without a portable amp?

As for my price budget for the headphones, I want to consider any affordable prices (as in just over $100) and the higher-end stuff that ranges from 250-400 dollars, or even higher. Just give me your best recommendations within a variety of price ranges, and also help me with figuring out if certain cans will require a portable amp. Much thanks.

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 3
I forgot to add, when it comes to comparing mp3 to ALAC, I actually can hear some minor improvements such as low-mixed instruments are more clear/audible, and the equalization amongst all sounds is much better. Obviously the type of headphones I want should truly mimic the sounds of vinyl recordings, assuming it's an album in 24/96. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back