Need recommendations for Over Ear Headphones - Budget around $200
Aug 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kraco3012

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

This is my first post here; I was lurking around the forums doing some searching for recommendations but I've been having a hard time deciding on what pair of headphones to get. I've been doing a lot of traveling lately (for my job) and I have been wanting to invest in a good pair of headphones for awhile. I'm by no means an audiophile so I turn to you guys for any helpful recommendations. My friends that have used Beats have told me to look into something else and after doing some searching around here, Bose doesn't seem to be a favorite either (good for noise cancellation but sound quality is diminished).

Here's what I'm looking for so I'm open to any suggestions!

Budget: Around $150 - $200 (could go up to $250 but would prefer to stay in this range).

Sources: Will probably just be sticking with my Samsung Galaxy S3 as my music player. Most of my mp3s are encoded in high bitrates (320).

Genres: Primarily EDM and Hip-Hop/Rap.

Preferences:
1. Comfort - I have a big head and big ears so comfort is a big factor. I'll mainly be using these when traveling (maybe when I'm in the office too) so I'll likely be using them for long sessions. I read about the Vmoda Crossfade LP2s but the reviews I saw from people said it's not good for people with big ears.
2. Looks - Would be nice to have a set of cans that look nice but this is not a deal breaker.
3. Sound Leakage / Noise Isolation - I would prefer if they don't leak a lot of sound and I don't hear much background noise.
4. Bass - I'm not exactly a huge basshead but I don't mind it as long as I can still get good clarity with the vocals and sound quality is overall decent.
5. Amps - I've read about using amplifiers here from the Head-Fi boards. I'd prefer not to have to purchase one if I don't really need to.

I think that's about it. I know it might not be possible to get all of these features in one pair of headphones but I appreciate any suggestions or direction you guys can provide! :)

Thanks all!

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the quick reply Trunks! I did some searching on the WS99 and I had a question since you have some experience with it. How would you say the comfort was on them? I know comfort is subjective but those ear pads looked kind of small. Did you find yourself constantly readjusting them for a good fit?

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Hey Commando, those KEF M500's look really nice! Only listing price I saw was $300 though 
frown.gif
. I appreciate the thought though!

Any other recommendations anyone?

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 6
The kef is also good the the ws99 is also good. The ear pads are definitely big enough, though they are pretty thin. Theyre uncomfortable initially but they ease up eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back