Need recommendations for new front speakers
Mar 19, 2002 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

delenda est Sony

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all!

I live in a NYC apartment with a girlfriend whose taste in music is 180 degrees away from mine. I get to let the ol home theater system rip less than 10 hrs/week. Front end is a 75W/channel Onkyo and I'm using AR surrounds and sub that are just fine. My fronts and center are less satisfactory, especially with music. They are RCAs, a 3 way design w 8" woofer, 3" mids, 1" tweeter and a center with two 5.5" woofers and a 1" tweeter. The 3 of them combined cost me $200, so we are talking about pretty cheap stuff here. I get plenty of volume, and good bass, but articulation is poor, especially with vocals in rock/metal which are easily overwhelmed by music.

Upshot: I'd like your thoughts on a pair of inexpensive fronts that can give me decent sound with superior articulation for a low price. Spending a ton on speaker I hear less than 10 hrs a week is not practical. I'm thinking less than $200 (street) for the fronts, and I will add a matching center at some future date. Some possible candidates are the Paradigm Atoms or Titans, the Athena BS1, or the Mission M71s. I've found favorable reviews on all these (and others!) but no head to head comparisons, so I'd like more suggestions and comments.

Thanks to all!

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2002 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 7
Oops, could a moderator move this over to the speakers, cables, etc section? I just noticed speakers were included there...

thanks!

redface.gif

Mar 19, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Athena is great choice. However, unless you like forward high frequencies, I recommend Infinity IL10, which sound warm yet refined and still maintains detail as Onkyo stuff tends to sound bright. I use these for my surrounds. I love Infinity.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2002 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 7
I personally prefer the PSB Alpha AVs to the Paradigms. They have a bit better bass, and a slightly warmer sound, but still good detail. For the money they're pretty amazing.

Mar 20, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 7
Okay, I'll chime in to recommend the Paradigms. Since you already have a decent subwoofer, save some money and get the Atoms, which have a bit less bass extension than the Titans or PSBs, but a better upper midrange, IMO. The sub will extend the bass nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back