Need recommendations for IEM's with 4th gen ipod nano
Mar 9, 2010 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TouchOfEvil

Head-Fier
ello, i am brand new to the forum and have been trying to search for some decent IEM's.
Honestly though i have not made much headroom yet as i have zero knowledge about the IEM market.
I know what i want i just don't know what to buy basically.
The IEM's would be used only at the Gym and thats it.
It's a 4th gen. ipod nano and i will be playing very aggressive rock/metal for the most part "gotta keep amped up to lift lol".
I really enjoy a strong bass foundation with warm mids. The highs i prefer to have nice detail/smooth but not scream at you with overly brightness.

If at all possible i would like to keep the budget at about 150.00 or so. If i really need to go higher then $200.00 would be my max. I also think i would prefer new vs used.
If you guys could point me in the right direction that would be awesome as i said i am brand new to headphones,iems, etc and basically have no knowledge of them at this point.
Thanks
L3000.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 14
Looking in one of the threads i was trying to see what would work well for me.
So far i have this list going...
KLIPSCH IMAGE Si4
ME ELECTRONICS AI/M6/M6
Maximo Imetal iM-590
SoundMagic PL50
Head-DirectREO

If you have other suggestions or feel one of these would work better than the next for me please let me know.
Only thing i'm uncertain of on some of these is the need for a amp?
I don't want to run a amp on this since i will be using it at the gym so that is kind of a factor as well so i'm having more trouble picking something on my own because of this.......

Mar 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 14
I have never worn any over the ear before so i'm not sure if i would prefer it one way to the other honestly. I have only used the original earbuds that came with the nano and use em straight down.
Do you think the Reo would be a good fit for the gym? Would i need a amp for them? I want to avoid getting a set that would need a amp as much as possible.
Thanks for the help.
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking in one of the threads i was trying to see what would work well for me.
So far i have this list going...
KLIPSCH IMAGE Si4
ME ELECTRONICS AI/M6/M6
Maximo Imetal iM-590
SoundMagic PL50
Head-DirectREO

If you have other suggestions or feel one of these would work better than the next for me please let me know.
Only thing i'm uncertain of on some of these is the need for a amp?
I don't want to run a amp on this since i will be using it at the gym so that is kind of a factor as well so i'm having more trouble picking something on my own because of this.......

Alright here's my take on the S4, PL50 and RE0 since I do or did owned them at one time.

None of them need an amp, an amp would be nice but no necessary.

S4: Is somewhat bright, though not too aggressive (compared to other headphones I've heard) however there is sibilance. The mids are clear, detailed but will sound muffled when the highs and lows overpowers it. The bass has a good boom and depth it. But, it can be overpowering for some. Needs long burn in time.

PL50: One word: smooth. For it's price, it's tiny, comfy, durable and sounds warm, smooth, and silky. Haha, I use it when I rest or take a nap. Very nice for it's price. But, I don't know how well it will stack up to newer iems emerging unto it's price range. Comes with a nice but cramped case!

RE0: in it's price range, it's the best bang for the buck, everything is detailed, smooth and neutral. It's not warm or cold, but smack down in the middle. Can be boring for some. It's definitely not a "fun" sounding IEM. But, it's my favorite for just about everything (narrow soundstage and all). Negative, has I guess you can say average soundstage, and if you like boom bass the RE0 won't give it to you unless it's properly amped. But, the bass can go deep and very detailed, just lack feeling.

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright here's my take on the S4, PL50 and RE0 since I do or did owned them at one time.

None of them need an amp, an amp would be nice but no necessary.

S4: Is somewhat bright, though not too aggressive (compared to other headphones I've heard) however there is sibilance. The mids are clear, detailed but will sound muffled when the highs and lows overpowers it. The bass has a good boom and depth it. But, it can be overpowering for some. Needs long burn in time.

PL50: One word: smooth. For it's price, it's tiny, comfy, durable and sounds warm, smooth, and silky. Haha, I use it when I rest or take a nap. Very nice for it's price. But, I don't know how well it will stack up to newer iems emerging unto it's price range. Comes with a nice but cramped case!

RE0: in it's price range, it's the best bang for the buck, everything is detailed, smooth and neutral. It's not warm or cold, but smack down in the middle. Can be boring for some. It's definitely not a "fun" sounding IEM. But, it's my favorite for just about everything (narrow soundstage and all). Negative, has I guess you can say average soundstage, and if you like boom bass the RE0 won't give it to you unless it's properly amped. But, the bass can go deep and very detailed, just lack feeling.

Awesome thanks for the heads up on what to expect with those models. It sounds like the Reo may not be for me since i won't have a amp for them. The PL50 sounds like it may be to laid back for say lifting at the gym?
The S4 sounds like it would fit the bill the best out of those but the overpowered mid has me not sold.
I like a real nice bass slam with a warm mid and a smooth high.
Any IEM come to mind that would do those in the $150.00 range?

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 14
Well, not necessarily, but the PL50 aren't the best for gym setting as they're over the ear, don't know if that will bother you. I use my NE-6 slightly more bass heavy, though it is laid back it's good enough for me. The RE0 do have bass, it will just feel bass light when you compare them to other headphones, namely bass heavy ones. I can make do with my RE0 in the gym but I have the 2nd gen with cloth cord and don't want them to get too sweaty.

S4 is all personal taste. I returned them because I didn't like them. But, that doesn't mean they're bad. They just weren't my taste.

if you want to look at a cheaper gym headphone alternative the maximo IM590 is great for rock with punchy bass and very durable.

Haha, I just think spending 200+ on gym headphones where they might break isn't worth the trouble. But, look at the X5, RE252, IE7, FX500 for some pricier options.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 14
I think i'm going to grab a pair of the MAXIMO iM-590's.
And a pair of the Panasonic RP-HJE900's.
Both on amazon are $155.80 total so i figure grab a cheap pair and a pair that the plugs can pull off if snagged and see how i like the two.
Thanks for the help!!!!!!
beerchug.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #13 of 14
Got the HJE900's today. I have been burning them in for about 6 hours so far.
Right now they sound pretty good. The bass is not quite as powerful as i would really want but it will suffice.
the highs are perfect for me. Soundstage is great.
Overall very happy so far and i'm sure they will get better as the hours total on em.
One question though, what can i do about the replaceable earbud deal that makes the seal to your ear?
I am using the smallest one that came with it and while it works it's still a bit too large or just doesn't provide enough comfort i guess.
They go in but are fairly uncomfortable due to size or just too hard. Not sure.
Ideas?
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back