Need recommendations for IEM's with 4th gen ipod nano
Mar 9, 2010 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TouchOfEvil

Head-Fier
Hello, i am brand new to the forum and have been trying to search for some decent IEM's.
Honestly though i have not made much headroom yet as i have zero knowledge about the IEM market.
I know what i want i just don't know what to buy basically.
The IEM's would be used only at the Gym and thats it.
It's a 4th gen. ipod nano and i will be playing very aggressive rock/metal for the most part "gotta keep amped up to lift lol".
I really enjoy a strong bass foundation with warm mids. The highs i prefer to have nice detail/smooth but not scream at you with overly brightness.

If at all possible i would like to keep the budget at about 150.00 or so. If i really need to go higher then $200.00 would be my max. I also think i would prefer new vs used.
If you guys could point me in the right direction that would be awesome as i said i am brand new to headphones,iems, etc and basically have no knowledge of them at this point.
Thanks
Joe
L3000.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 8
When you're in the gym you're usually moving, with some degree of ambient noise ... I think spending $200 on some good IEMs that you won't really be able to hear the best of and will get bashed around on the machines is not the best plan.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you're in the gym you're usually moving, with some degree of ambient noise ... I think spending $200 on some good IEMs that you won't really be able to hear the best of and will get bashed around on the machines is not the best plan.

What would you suggest? Right now i'm using the original earbuds that came with the ipod and they suck pretty bad.
I want to isolate some of the exterior noise and get decent sound at the same time.
Like i said 200 would be my max i would spend but cheaper is not a problem at all.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 8
Hm, I have to agree with some points above. Given that you'll be moving about quite a lot, you'll most likely get some microphonics ( I believe this is the term for it). Microphonics refer to the "scratchy noise" you get when cords touch and scratch each other side by side.

Looking at your preferences and situation, it would be most likely to first prioritise on Isolation, Microphonics, then SQ.

With your budget, you really have quite a few choices, and I think it would suit you best if you look at joker's review. I would highly recommend it, but most likely after reading it will give you more questions.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...1-10-a-453836/

Take a look, and it might help you decide, but I really SQ wise, given that you go to the gym with it, you really don't need to achieve the top top notch SQ!

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gknix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...1-10-a-453836/

Take a look, and it might help you decide, but I really SQ wise, given that you go to the gym with it, you really don't need to achieve the top top notch SQ!

Thanks for the link, i shall take a look. Also not sure if it matters or not but i use a armband to house the ipod around my bicep and i run the cord under my shirt thru the sleeve. So the cord touches myself and my shirt, no metal or anything would be hitting it or anything abusive like that.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 8
The CYCLONE PR1 PRO seemed like a decent set at a very reasonable price but my question about them is how would they do being driven by the Ipod Nano?
Since they are 32ohms?

I liked a few others but most looked like they would need a amp for the ones that peaked my interest......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back