Need recommendations for efficient cans to pair with an A&K SP1000 Copper
Feb 15, 2019 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bodhi01

Head-Fier
Hi folks, I'm looking for recommedations for a pair of cans I can run off my SP1000. In terms of use, It would be for headphone sessions at home, going away on holiday & train trips. As i'd like to take them away on holiday, a relatively compact semi-hard or hard case would be useful, and good stock cables are a bonus (but not deal breaker). I'm open to either open or closed back cans (though it would be useful to have closed back for travelling on the train or on planes). And especially for train travel, It would be helpful if they were not too heavy and comfortable.

Re: budget, I realise i've got a good DAP, so i'm fairly flexible up to the Focal Utopia's which my local Dealer currently have on sale $500AUD cheaper than the new Stellia. Though the Utopia's aren't efficient, and I'd guess need a dedicated headphone amp (which I currently don't have).

Re: sound, I'm looking for good resolution, bass, exension, clarity & staging/imaging. I'm more into World/New age, female vocals, folk & jazz, plus a bit of blues, classical & a classic rock. I'm not a bass freak. I prefer a more open, balanced, natural sound.

My short list so far is...

- Hifiman Arya
- Focal Clear
- Audeze LCD-X
- Focal Utopia (currently $4kAUD on sale, but too inefficient?)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 9
Feb 23, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #3 of 9
@m-i-c-k-e-y, Thanks for the suggestion, they look unconventional! I went into Addicted to Audio today and setup a 3-way shootout between the Focal Clear, Hifiman Arya & new Focal Stellia cans. Long story short, paired with an A&K SP1000M dap, the new Stellia's were a clear winner, and were the only cans which put a smile on my face, drew me into the music & made my toes tap. Compared to the Clears they were just more resolving, better balanced and more musical in a nutshell. The Stellia's also have better fit in and finish, with full grain leather everything & a commensurately better case and packaging. Perfect synergy!

IMG_7440.JPG
IMG_7441.JPG
stellia_accessoires.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 9
Beautiful! And they are closed. Meaning sound isolation and won"t disturb anybody. Congratulations!

Feb 23, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 9
@m-i-c-k-e-y, Thanks for the suggestion, they look unconventional! I went into Addicted to Audio today and auditioned some headphones. I setup a 3-way shootout between the Focal Clear, Hifiman Arya & new Focal Stellia cans. Long story short, paired with an A&K SP1000M dap, the new Stellia's were a clear winner, and were the only cans which put a smile on my face, drew me into the music & made my toes tap. Compared to the Clears they were just more resolving, better balanced and more musical in a nutshell. The Stellia's also have better fit in and finish, with full grain leather everything & a commensurately better case and packaging. Perfect synergy!

Beautiful they are, I gave them a brief listen at CanJam. Would like to have more time to listen in a better environment. As @m-i-c-k-e-y said, they are closed back and that would work very well for travel.

Did you buy them?

Feb 23, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 9
If you're okay with the Utopias, the Diana Phi's might be worth considering as they are somewhere between the Stellia and Utopia in terms of drivability.

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 9
Beautiful! And they are closed. Meaning sound isolation and won"t disturb anybody. Congratulations!
Thanks @m-i-c-k-e-y. I discussed with the guys what I planned to use the headphones for (ie: 90% at home or on the sofa & 10% travel, incl: on airplanes). They quickly ruled out open-back headphones, and said they won't work on trains/planes even at low levels. But I still wanted to audition the other open back models, and I'm glad I did, as regardless the Stellia's were still the best sounding of the three by a large margin.

The other thing which sold me on keeping the SP1000 Copper was the fact it can be used as a dac with my laptop, and comes with the required USB cable. So I can get great sound watching Youtube video's or listening to albums on my computer. I also live in an apartment where outside noise can intrude, so the closed-back design will be a Godsend. And yeah I agree the Stellia's look beautiful & match perfectly with the copper AK dap. I might post my listening impressions in a separate Shootout thread.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 9
Beautiful they are, I gave them a brief listen at CanJam. Would like to have more time to listen in a better environment. As @m-i-c-k-e-y said, they are closed back and that would work very well for travel.

Did you buy them?
Yeah it was clear, even in the audio store the closed back design worked very well & was the way to go. I got the impression from my sales guy that he preferred the Stellia to the Utopia. I can't comment on the Utopia's sound, but the Stellia is clearly a more usable headphone.

I'm about to post a listing in the Classifieds for a new/unused AK300 dap & Campfire Audio Andromeda IEM's with bonus Spinfit eartips. I'm also selling some new high end cables from my main 2-channel system, so as soon as they're cleared I'll snap up the Focals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back