Need Recommendations for Durable ~$100 Closed Headphones
Oct 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Benjio

New Head-Fier
Firstly, this is my first post on the forums, hello everybody, it's good to be apart of the community. :)

As the title says, I'm looking for durable, over ear, closed, good-looking headphones. I want something that I can wear in public and not make myself look like an idiot, but also be able to thrown in my tennis bag and survive being knocked around a bit. Currently I have Sennheiser HD428s, which I can't complain about at all; they sound good (not that I have anything better to compare them to) and look decent, I wouldn't feel safe carrying them around in my tennis bag however though. As of now I'm looking at the ATH-M50s. They seem like they're durable enough, and I really like the fact that you can fold them up. They are also about $100, a little over, but I don't mind stretching the budget. Any recommendations are appreciated. :)

My setup:
Creative Audigy 4 SB0610 (Yes, I know it's old, got it free from work though :p )
Ipod Touch 4g

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 13
Hi!

What kind of music do you usually listen to?
Do you prefer headphones with powerful bass, and good sub bass response or (mid and high frequency) detailed sounding headphones?

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 13
  Hi!

What kind of music do you usually listen to?
Do you prefer headphones with powerful bass, and good sub bass response or (mid and high frequency) detailed sounding headphones?

I listen to a lot of Pink Floyd, also Led Zeppelin and other classical rock. I would like some bass, it does not have to be over powering or anything though, I think something in between would work fine with me, as long as they sound good I don't care too much.

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 13
If you want the most durable headphones ever ( in my opinion short of a tank driving over them ) with a bass emphasis the V-moda Crossfade LP is a good choice at $100-$110 ( the phantom chrome is $100 but hovering between $100-106 on amazon) and they do sound a lot better after you burn them in.

If you want a neutral sounding pair but same durability the V-moda Crossfade M/V- 80 ( V-80 is just a trueblood re-branding) is a good pair for On-ear headphone.

The ATH-M50 is also a solid choice as well

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 13
If you want the most durable headphones ever ( in my opinion short of a tank driving over them ) with a bass emphasis the V-moda Crossfade LP is a good choice at $100-$110 ( the phantom chrome is $100 but hovering between $100-106 on amazon) and they do sound a lot better after you burn them in.

If you want a neutral sounding pair but same durability the V-moda Crossfade M/V- 80 ( V-80 is just a trueblood re-branding) is a good pair for On-ear headphone.

The ATH-M50 is also a solid choice as well

For some reason I never really liked the look of V-moda headphones (normally I wouldn't care, I want to use these headphones for more public use though), I appreciate the suggestion though.

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 13
I love the look of V-moda and love my M-100 which i would suggest hands down if you wanted to pay $300 for them
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure they're great headphones, I just for some reason can't stand the look of the 6-sided metal plate on the sides.

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 13
  I'm sure they're great headphones, I just for some reason can't stand the look of the 6-sided metal plate on the sides.

Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones, $50 on eBay.

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 13
  Are you sure I'd be able to drive those? I'd prefer if I didn't have to buy an amp, especially since these headphones are meant for travel. 

JVC HA-S500, folding on-ear headphones, $60

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 13
  Those look very tempting, just what I was looking for. How would you say they compare to ATH-M50s in terms of sound?

Not the thumping bass of the ATh-M50s, but the HA-S500s should be a match, maybe even better in some areas, then the ATH-M50s.

The JVCHA-S500 (& HA-S400) use Carbon Nanotube in the diaphragms :)

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #13 of 13

Not the thumping bass of the ATh-M50s, but the HA-S500s should be a match, maybe even better in some areas, then the ATH-M50s.

The JVCHA-S500 (& HA-S400) use Carbon Nanotube in the diaphragms :)

Thanks so much for the reply, I guess it's hard to say no to headphones like these that sound that good and are that cheap. You've made my first thread on here quite a good experience, I'll be looking forward to posting on here again. 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back