Need recommendations for desktop headphones
Jul 12, 2017 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jeff1304

New Head-Fier
Hello,

So currently I have a pair of AKG k7xx headphones that i have been happy with but part of the headband is about to break and I need a replacement. What would you guys get under $300? I am running a Magni 2 Modi 2 uber stack for a amp and dac. I have been looking at the hifiman he-400i and was curious is there is any other better options ?

Thank you
Jeff

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 10
What are you going to use it for? Gaming? Music? Movies? Or general purposes? HE-400i seems solid for general purposes

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 10
He400i is pretty good. HD650 is better in terms of what type of music it's good with. Jack of all trades, master of none. The 400i is a little more picky with music genres. They're both great options and will be driven just fine from your Schiit Stack.

If gaming mostly: Fidelio X2

If many genres of music: HD650

If a few genres of music (as long as they fit with what the headphone is good at): 400i

If analytical: HD700 (used?)

Good luck!

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 10
I'd suggest looking up reviews for 650 and 400i, I think either of those would be fine for you. It's a matter of laid back vs a bit more aggressive sound signatures

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 10
So currently I have a pair of AKG k7xx headphones that i have been happy with but part of the headband is about to break and I need a replacement. What would you guys get under $300? I am running a Magni 2 Modi 2 uber stack for a amp and dac. I have been looking at the hifiman he-400i and was curious is there is any other better options ?

HE400S has a more similar curve to the K7XX than the HE400i, and it's also more efficient than both.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #10 of 10
The higher quantity of bass makes me think the 400i is the way to go, especially for games, movies, videos, etc. I'm still waiting on my HD6xx, but I've heard the sound stage is neither intimate nor generous, but just on the intimate side of normal. The 400i should be pretty similar. And with a warm amp, I don't find the 400i genre specific at all...
The 400s sounds a bit muddy to me straight out of PC, DAP, or out of my v200, but with a crisp SS amp like the Magni, it should clean up quite nicely as well. I run mine out of a MAC1900, and it sounds several orders of magnitude better than out of my v200.

The x2's are a great all-around pick, but I don't think you'll view it as an improvement so much as a sidestep (a tiny bit smaller stage, more bass extension, no irritating treble peak, with a bit of grain in the treble), and I think the HD650 and 400i are more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back