need recommendations for audio recorder/player
Mar 9, 2008 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

athenaesword

500+ Head-Fier
hi,

looking to buy a recorder/player for my mom, cus she's attending some classes lately and wishes to tape down some of her lessons. since she's far from an being audiophile, a sturdy one that serves this purpose will do; no need to go for expensive, sleek or flashy models. (therefore please don't recommend me d2s/clixes)

thanks in advance for the inputs mates!

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 23
I had one of the small Sandisk Sansa players (the 2gb one) that had recording and a built-in mic. It recorded speech well enough.

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had one of the small Sandisk Sansa players (the 2gb one) that had recording and a built-in mic. It recorded speech well enough.

is this good for say a classroom environment. my experience with most mp3 devices with built in recording systems is that they're good enough for say 1 on 1 interviews, but they don't pick up from large spaces too well.

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertInTheShape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i recommend a sony mindisc recorder/player. get some blank discs and a portable mic and youre good to go. i used to record entire rock concerts from the crowd and the audio would come out great.

i'm looking for something than can record to an internal drive. my mom can transfer them out to a PC from time to time. blank discs seem to be an extra hassle that i don't wish to subject her to. does sony offer anything similar, but records onto the device?

nice to hear that you're able to record even rock concerts; that would definitely serve her needs well. also, what would the price point on this be?

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 23
Iriver H310-340 is all I can think of really. Recording quality is superb and come with external mics.

Good luck finding one
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by novasol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Iriver H310-340 is all I can think of really. Recording quality is superb and come with external mics.

Good luck finding one
wink.gif

they don't sell these anymore?

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

nowhere that I know of, and they're selling on ebay for $200-$250 now

which is the model which you think is the best then? maybe it's easier for me to find information on it than a range of models. it'd be great if you have links where i can check out, but otherwise, precise model would be fine. thanks mate.

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which is the model which you think is the best then? maybe it's easier for me to find information on it than a range of models. it'd be great if you have links where i can check out, but otherwise, precise model would be fine. thanks mate.

You're probably only going to find the latest, the H340.

Here's an Amazon link(not available anymore) with tons of user opinions

Amazon.com: iRiver H340 40 GB Digital Music Player with Color Display: Electronics

Here's a comprehensive review that commends its recording capabilities

IGN: iRiver H340

Here's an ebay auction ending in three days...the H340 came with tons of accessories, even a leather pouch

iRiver H340 (40 GB, 10000 Songs) MP3 Player MINT In Box - eBay (item 270217911039 end time Mar-14-08 19:57:42 PDT)

That should get you started..just google iriver H340 if you want to know more
wink.gif

EDIT TO ADD LINK:

There is an iriver fansite BTW, tons of info there on the old and new irivers

misticriver.net - portable.digital.lifestyle

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 23
For portability, ease of use, quality of sound (classroom environment), and price, I used the Sony ICD-B300 during my M.A. It worked very well and expedited my thesis-writing process because I was able to take notes on my thoughts while I drove to and from school, work, etc.

Mar 11, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 23
If you want a voice recorder with a direct pc link, olympus makes quite a few. Some will play mp3's as well. The Olympus WS-311M is about $80 and would fit the bill. It's only 512MB but there are others on Olympus website. Check them out.

OTOH, if you want an excellent sounding MP3 player with voice recording, then the Iriver H340 is the way to go.

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

If you want a voice recorder with a direct pc link, olympus makes quite a few. Some will play mp3's as well. The Olympus WS-311M is about $80 and would fit the bill. It's only 512MB but there are others on Olympus website. Check them out.

OTOH, if you want an excellent sounding MP3 player with voice recording, then the Iriver H340 is the way to go.

when you say some will play mp3s, do u mean that the rest don't? if so then what do they record as, wma? how long a recording can 512mb take?

Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For portability, ease of use, quality of sound (classroom environment), and price, I used the Sony ICD-B300 during my M.A. It worked very well and expedited my thesis-writing process because I was able to take notes on my thoughts while I drove to and from school, work, etc.

how long ago wassit that you used that model?

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how long ago wassit that you used that model?

I used it until last May - when I finished my thesis. I will be using it again for another project soon though.

By the way, it holds 37 hours of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back