Need recommendations for a new source
Apr 1, 2014 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Senna

New Head-Fier
Been lurking around the forums here for a while now, but this is my first post.

Thing is I am in need of some help since the source in my current setup, a 2nd gen iPod Nano, just died on me. I'm in dire need of a replacement, but I want to make sure I don't overlook any great candidates when getting a new one.

I used my iPod together with a Fiio E12 and a pair of Focal Spirit Ones. Thought it sounded pretty decent, and was a great step up from my HTC One and Koss Porta Pros that I used earlier. Now I am aware that any such recommendations are bound to be very subjective, and of course it all boils down to a matter of taste when it comes to sound, but I'd really appreciate any input here. To narrow down the scope ever so slightly I've made a small list of criteria for myself:
- large capacity; got a fairly extensive music collection and I want to use lossless all the way.
- compact design; bundled with my E12 I want it to be fairly light so that it can be carried around without too much hassle.
- affordable; not going overboard here, so thinking anywhere up to around 300 USD would suite me.

My first thought was the iPod classic 160 GB, whether it was just lack of imagination or something else I don't know, but no idea how it would compare to something like the Fiio X3 for example. And then there are all the other ones that I probably don't even know about.

So yes, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back