Need recommendations for a new IEM
May 12, 2006 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sum

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I've decided that my constant travelling means it is time for a new IEM. I currently use Westone UM2s. I'm fairly happy with them, but they pale in comparison to my other cans. I would kill for my k701s in an IEM. I have tried the Super.Fi 5s but I feel they are too laid back. I fear that the Etys will not have enough bass. Anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing I should try the Shure e500s when they're finally out or maybe it is time to go custom. If I were to go custom, what would everyones suggestions be? I know most people say the UE-10s, but I'm worried that their laid back nature will be too much like the Super.Fi 5s.

May 12, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 5
I dont think any IEM, even the UE-10, could equal the SQ of a 701 or any similar quality can. The tradeoffs to get that isolation are just too great.
If you are dedicated to the ultra IEM route, I suggest talking to some of the custom IEM owners and find out their approximations of how good they sound. Id love for a consensus like "the UE-10s can sound as good as $250 open air phones" or something of that nature but I doubt that sort of statement can ever be reached.

May 12, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by stmpjmp
I dont think any IEM, even the UE-10, could equal the SQ of a 701 or any similar quality can. The tradeoffs to get that isolation are just too great.
If you are dedicated to the ultra IEM route, I suggest talking to some of the custom IEM owners and find out their approximations of how good they sound. Id love for a consensus like "the UE-10s can sound as good as $250 open air phones" or something of that nature but I doubt that sort of statement can ever be reached.

I'm not necessarily looking for something with the SQ of the k701. I'd be happy with someone with a closer tonal balance and a bit less muddy than my UM2s.

May 12, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum
I'm not necessarily looking for something with the SQ of the k701. I'd be happy with someone with a closer tonal balance and a bit less muddy than my UM2s.

Are there any decent IEM reviews on Headphonereviews.org? I wish I could suggest something but Ive not had the intestinal fortitude to go the custom IEM route yet. (Love the idea of it...hate the "you own it no matter what" aspect.
tongue.gif
)

May 12, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 5
Take a look at the ES2 then. It takes everything that's good about the UM2 and makes it better. It gets a bit brighter in the process, but it's a whole lot more detailed, and doesn't have the UM2's bloat. I'd say that it's quite on par with a lot of full size cans - the HD600 and SR-404 definitely. It's not quite as natural, but it has definite potential in a high-end system. It won't get there out of an mp3 player of course, but it'll still be a good deal better than the UM2. It's also a rather forward sound, fairly Grado-like. Definitely not laid back or boring in any possible sense.

Of course, the real danger in customs is the lack of resale value. Once you plunk down, you're out of that cash, permanently. If the ES2 isn't a big deal for you, then go ahead and go for it. Otherwise, waiting for the E500 might be a better idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back