Need recommendations for a desktop DAC with USB input
Apr 4, 2024 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
I've got about 10" x 10" of desk space for a unit. I only need something with one pair of RCA outputs. I don't really need a headphone jack. It's for a Fosi Audio BT20A Pro amp rolled with MUSE02 op-amps which powers ELAC speakers. I need something with the right blend of dimensionality and neutrality to the sound. Here's what I've tried so far in this setup that hasn't totally worked for me for one reason or another:

Apogee Duet 2 (sounds okay but seems flat and unexciting)
DragonFly Black v1.5 (high noise floor, weak bass performance)
DragonFly Red (bloated undefined bass)
Pacific Valve Fathom NOS DAC (rolled off sounding, doesn't do hi-res)
TubeMagic D1 Plus (high distortion levels)
Schiit Modi+ (too bright and fatiguing - one dimensional)

I actually like the DragonFlys the most although they have poor bass control. I also considered the Schiit Modi Multi-Bit, but don't want to spend that much if possible. I listen to a wide variety of music, including a lot of jazz, and also watch movies and YouTube on this setup.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 16
Apr 5, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 16
Apr 5, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 16
Great! Enjoy! Upgrade its AC/DC adapter to a RELIAPRO and your good.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 16
I wanted to share my experience with the TOPPING DX3 Pro+ so far. I couldn't find a thread for this specific DAC? Basically, the sound is good. Neutral, big, holographic but also lacking in weight. It's not really a complaint, just an observation. It has a hallowness to it, but it also presents in a nice, soft way overall. I'm using the slow linear filter right now. It's on the analytical side. It doesn't really add anything or color the sound. Maybe it's less visceral and engaging than some other DAC's I've tried, but for me it seems okay. I'm mainly just digging the high resolution and smooth sound. The filters do make a difference I think, I might try the linear fast filter next. The slow roll off filter seems more mellow.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 16
Fiio K7 BT is about 50$ more is a tad more dynamic, resolving/resolution and warmth sacrificing depth and soundstage as compared to DX3 Pro+.

Edit: Forgot the K7 (no BT) is a tad cheaper.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 16
Apr 6, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 16
After some listening I don't like the Topping DX3 Pro+ any more because it's too airy in my system and doesn't have enough weight to the sound, so I'm exchanging for the FiiO K7.

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 16
Goodluck on your hunt! :gs1000smile::thumbsup:

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 16
I'm listening to the FiiO K7 now. It sounds great as a DAC in my system. Initial impression: slightly warm, and solid/weighty sound. I can't really find any shortcomings. We'll see how it goes after the next few days, but for now, this is a keeper!

Edit: The FiiO K7 sounds kinda bass heavy. I think I can adjust to this, though.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 16
The FiiO K7 definitely seems bass-boosted. I'm using an EQ on iTunes to reduce bass right now and it sounds more neutral. Still sounds better with no EQ though.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 16
I love the line-in feature of the K7, because I can use my DragonFly Black (which doesn't feel bass-boosted.) I actually like both of these DAC's this way.

Running the DragonFly Black through the line-in of the K7, I get a less bass-boosted sound that is more lush, almost tubey, but it's also not as clean sounding as the USB input.

I never liked the DFR and briefly tried it this way but felt it was muddled.

Edit: The DFB sounds much worse than the K7, so I'm not using that anymore, and I was able to get the K7 to sound less bassy but removing the grilles on my tweeters.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #14 of 16
I'm also wondering about the SMSL SU-1, and how it compares to the FiiO K7 as a DAC.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #15 of 16
Did you try Khadas DACs?
I have the original Tone Board and like its sound signature.

No, haven't tried that one yet, but for now I'm avoiding SABRE Dacs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back