NEED RECOMMENDATION : What portable rig in $200-$250 price range
Dec 25, 2006 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

mr_a

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, so I m making plans to make my first official portable rig. Thanks to Head-Fi
eggosmile.gif

So guyz ... help me out here !!!!
k1000smile.gif

- My main question is that I want the RIG to have LOOOOOTS of BASSSSS
basshead.gif
So ...
1. Is there any MP3 player that doesnt't need an AMP.
2. If not, then what MP3 Player + AMP combination is perfect.

- My budget is 200-250 bucks (Either MP3 alone OR for the MP3 player + AMP combo)

- 5gb-10gb should be enough for me as I dont need Video Plyback.

- I m leaned towards Flash players as HD based ones tend to fail more. However, if I really have to get a HD based one, then HD it is
cool.gif

Any help would be really really apreciated !!! Happy Holidays
icon10.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 30
iPod, Creative Zen Vision: M, and Zune all don't need an amp as long as the headphones are halfway efficient, anything up to 60 ohms or so is probably fine. The bass will be more dependent on your headphones. I'm not positive but I believe these are all HD based. The Creative Muvo series flash players are quite good sounding IME, very very musical but also very very weak (9mW into 16 ohms or 32 ohms) and couldn't even drive my 32ohm MX500s to good levels. The iPod shuffle is a great sounding flash based player that doesn't need an additional amp but the generation 2 version might be volume limited as compared to generation 1. I might head down the road to shuffle + amp (LDM+ or Go-Vibe 5) myself and will let you know my impressions. (this might take a while)

Dec 26, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 30
Razoramus, I'm not too sure about your first claim. My 4G iPod definitely clips/distorts during demanding/loud passages when driving the HD650 and K701, even at full volume. The clipping is very noticeable and occurs most frequently during orchestral passages with a large dynamic range. IMO, an amp is definitely required if you'll be using full-sized headphones. mr_a, what headphones will you be using?

Dec 26, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 30
IMO Frontier Labs is the best bang for the buck, The new NEX BLACK is formated for a CF card up to 16gigs thats impressive. The unit runs on 2AA batterys , how cheep and simple is that , to load the thing just drop and drag your music folders the player sorts it all out for you no, need to make a stupid playlist and as far as the sound quality it has my KARMA and JUKEBOX beat hands down. also no need for a amp. and the support from the company is excellent with a next day response. and the best part $60-$70 brand new with warranty. just do a ebay search and a store will show up for you. I think there are reviews on the web also. check it out , I 'm very happy with mine. Good luck hope you find something you like.

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Razoramus, I'm not too sure about your first claim. My 4G iPod definitely clips/distorts during demanding/loud passages when driving the HD650 and K701, even at full volume. The clipping is very noticeable and occurs most frequently during orchestral passages with a large dynamic range. IMO, an amp is definitely required if you'll be using full-sized headphones. mr_a, what headphones will you be using?

I have a sep thread open for IEM and Headphone recommendations :
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...50#post2581950

I m planning to get either PX100 or V-Moda Vibe OR EX90 OR JVC Marshmallow.

So far I tried out Creative Zen, Sony NW E405B, Zen V Plus and IPOD Nano 2ng gen. Out of those I'll rate ...

1. Creative Zen ( Loved the SQ and battery life, only the UI and bcoz of headphone jack issue I returend it)
2. Sony NW E405B ( Loved the SQ and SUPER Battery life, the SonicStage software was a hassle)
3. ZEN V Plus ... ( To be honest, the SQ didnt impress me at all)
4. Nano ( Good SQ and awsome UI)

I really wish I could get MP3 player that has similar SQ signature as Creative Zen and the Sony NWE405B. But more BASSS will be helpful
basshead.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 30
Get a Zune, use stock headphones and save up for a better pair later. The SQ of the Zune is amazing and stock heafphones are pretty decent.

If you realy want Mp3 + Headphones go with the Vibes and a Ipod Nano.

Dec 27, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's why I said up to 60 ohms (HD650 is 300 ohms, K701 is 62 ohms)
icon10.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by cookscreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and as far as the sound quality it has my KARMA and JUKEBOX beat hands down. also no need for a amp...

Are you saying it is better than Rio Karma?

Dec 27, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying it is better than Rio Karma?

IMO yes ,the music is more like a 3d effect or some people call dynamic range, excuse my spelling. Listening to my Karma is like hearing mono compared to the NEX, I actually emailed the company and asked them how this is possible , they told me a lot of R&D with the chips they use. Please , I'm not putting my KARMA down , I just dont use it for portable use just use it as a source in the dock for home listening. The other thing with the NEX it takes a beating every day I use it at work, at a steel fabrication shop,it's like a Timex (takes a licking but keeps on ticking) . I'm just saying this thing is a really nice and versitle mp3 player. I do use an amp with ety's or Pro5 or e2c and all sounds good the amp dose give more base with the amp (GARY'S 1st model before the pav2) but is not necessary. I carry everything around in a small camera case clipped to my belt loop at work and at home I just put it in my back pocket just by itself. How can you go wrong for than kind of $. Again I am not bashing the Karma it still is one of the best.

Dec 27, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by exX08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a Zune, use stock headphones and save up for a better pair later. The SQ of the Zune is amazing and stock heafphones are pretty decent.

If you realy want Mp3 + Headphones go with the Vibes and a Ipod Nano.

Yeah don't do that. Pickup a decent set of headphones.

Dec 27, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #12 of 30
Ok .. lets trim down a list of MP3 palyers I think are good and I m plannin to get and you guyz help me out !!!

- IAudio X5 ( heard that it has super sound, I dunno if I'd be using the video feature on it)
- IAudio U2, U3 ( Very very tempted to get one of those)
- Zune ( Have heard that it has decent sound)
- Iriver Clix ( Same as X5 )
- Meizu M6
- Ria Karma ( Heard that it has super SQ)

So guyz ... help me out in trimming this list down. I think I'll definately get one player out of that list
rs1smile.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #14 of 30
The frontier labs thing does look interesting. Also worth considering the Samsung YP-Z5. I demoed it a few days ago (I couldn't use my own cans since it was in a demo unit thingy) but the sound quality was very impressive. Haven't managed to find anywhere stocking the YP-T9 (which I'm hoping has similar sq to the Z5 but with better UI / navigation and nicer looking in general). If anything, it's worth holding out at least 2 weeks for announcements from CES and see if there's anything on the horizon worth waiting for. I'm in a similar position, looking to upgrade my source (1G Nano, 4GB, rockbox) but at the moment, there's nothing that meets all my requirements.

Dec 28, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by chowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The frontier labs thing does look interesting. Also worth considering the Samsung YP-Z5. I demoed it a few days ago (I couldn't use my own cans since it was in a demo unit thingy) but the sound quality was very impressive. Haven't managed to find anywhere stocking the YP-T9 (which I'm hoping has similar sq to the Z5 but with better UI / navigation and nicer looking in general). If anything, it's worth holding out at least 2 weeks for announcements from CES and see if there's anything on the horizon worth waiting for. I'm in a similar position, looking to upgrade my source (1G Nano, 4GB, rockbox) but at the moment, there's nothing that meets all my requirements.

Forgot to mention that I did try out YP-Z5 before when I bought it for my GF . I really liked everything about it. My SONY NWE405B had more bass however. I m just looking for a player with better or more BASS. \

And yeah, that Frontier LAB thingie ... will do more research abt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back