Need recommendation for small DAC and AMP all in one less than a grand USD and must be solid state
Aug 8, 2014 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

FangJoker

Previously known as "vegasf1"
Right now I have a Schiit Bifrost Uber with usb and a Schiit Valhalla and it takes up way too much space on my desk even though they aren't considered to be very big compared to high end stuff. I'm looking for something smaller.   I would prefer a dac/amp combo that is smaller and narrow and not wide.  The Conductor SL would be perfect, but it's out of my budget.  I will sell my schiit stack and make up the difference with cash, but total cost would ideally be under 1k usd.  I want a solid state amp, because I can be at the desk for a long time sometimes and I feel that I don't want a tube amp running too long.

I don't need a powerful amp as it will be driving IEM, but I really  would like a good DAC section.

Any recommendations?  I do have a tiny RSA The Predator for portable use and I guess could be used with the computer, but prefer something separate for computer use.

Thanks!

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 15
Are you limited in depth? Maybe a Meier Corda Jazz and then find a DAC that fits on top?

Small size is definitely a tough one since the amps go up in size as they go up in price.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 15

I don't need a powerful amp as it will be driving IEM, but I really  would like a good DAC section.

Any recommendations?  I do have a tiny RSA The Predator for portable use and I guess could be used with the computer, but prefer something separate for computer use.

If you'll be using them on IEMs you might as well just use the Predator. That has a USB DAC already, and the problem with desktop amps is that you might just end up with one that has too much gain (even if not necessarily output power) for your IEMs, which at the very least can mean some channel imbalance. As a rule analog volume pots (in the case of the Corda Jazz that was suggested above, that uses an analog dial, but is actually a digital unit)should be at least in the 9:00 position to avoid audible imbalance, and even a bit past that there can still be some but inaudible. Best of all you won't have to spend any more money; maybe not even need to sell the Schiit stack and keep it in case the cash you might have added to the proceeds go to a headphone that might need that much output power.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 15
Are you limited in depth? Maybe a Meier Corda Jazz and then find a DAC that fits on top?

Small size is definitely a tough one since the amps go up in size as they go up in price.

Width is more of an issue than depth.  If the burson conductor SL was in my budget, that's what I would get.  Or the chord hugo.  Mmmmmmmmm.  But for the IEMs I have, it's overkill. 

I will probably give the Predator a shot with the computer when my longer usb cable comes in so that it can reach me.  RSA makes some remarkably small products.  

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 15
If depth is not an issue, look into the Audio-GD NFB-11 with the TCXO upgade. It'll save you some money, too. I'd describe the amp as comparable in class to the Schiit Asgard 2 and the DAC a little notch up over the ODAC.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/624517/audio-gd-nfb-11-32-nfb-11-2014-delivery-impression-thread

Aug 9, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 15
If depth is not an issue, look into the Audio-GD NFB-11 with the TCXO upgade. It'll save you some money, too. I'd describe the amp as comparable in class to the Schiit Asgard 2 and the DAC a little notch up over the ODAC.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/624517/audio-gd-nfb-11-32-nfb-11-2014-delivery-impression-thread

So far this one is my leading choice.  Thanks!

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 15
Crap the Audio-GD sounds like it has usb issues. I am also looking at the yulong d200 and yeah it's a lot sexier, but it's wide and I would be back at the beginning of my problem again with lack of desktop space due to a wide amp.  The NFB-11 is such a good deal for it's specs.  I guess my homework is to read through all of the pages of the thread. yikes!

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 15
Are you reading about the newest, 2014 model of the NFB?

I believe so.  I started at the back of the thread and went backwards about 15 pages.  I will keep reading to confirm it.  The form factor is exactly what I want and has the dac chip I was hoping to get and the price is outstanding when compared to the yulong d200.  The d200 checks off almost all of the boxes except that it's wide and not narrow which is pretty much a deal killer for me.  

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 15
I didn't have any problems, and it works flawless for me on Windows 7 64 bit. You might ask in the firmware driver thread and find out if it's common, or just that so many people have them there are a few issues with system compatibility with a limited few people.

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 15
Yeah I hope it's at least as good as the schiit bifrost uber with usb 2.0 and valhalla.  I did want a SS amp this time because I sometimes am at the computer for a long time and I have read that you shouldn't keep tube amps on for more than 8 hours which I can't remember where I read that or if it's true and I wanted something with more punch than soul as I already am using a bass heavy IEM that has some darkness.  I guess the next thing on the wish list is noble k10 and chord hugo, but that's going to take some time to put on the budget.  I game and watch movies and tv shows more often than listening to music so I really do not feel that I need the mega expensive stuff at this time.

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 15
After my experience with the ODAC and Asgard 2, I think with those two units and the NFB-11, I've definitely gotten up into that range where SQ differences are very, very minor. Now your Vahalla would likely be different sounding because of the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back