Need recommendation for portable listening in a cubicle
Jan 29, 2007 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

GuruSY

New Head-Fier
Howdy, I have a pair of Senn HD580s sourced by a Pa2V2. I absolutely love these for classical music listening. I wanted to get a setup to leave at work to listen to my ipod.

The problem with my HD580 setup, is that these cans are LOUD externally, and I don’t want to buy a second amplifier to leave at work. Does anyone have any recommendations for cans that:
1. Are not so externally loud so I don’t annoy my coworkers in the cube next to me,
2. Can be sourced from an Ipod without the need for an amp, and
3. Are less than approximately $150 (although I am flexible here)

I primarily listen to classical and opera.

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 12
i got my dad a pair of hd280 for the classical music on his nano. he loves it, but wishes the headphones weren't so big and take up so much space in his briefcase

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 12
KSC75 ~$20 or KSC35 ~$29 - I use these at work. Doubt you would bother anyone else with them unless it's very quiet (library quiet) there. I can leave these and not worry about breaking or losing them. KSC35's do classical pretty well.

Senn PX100 ~$49 is also a very comfortable portable option. A little more leaking from these. Personally think the KSC35 has a little tighter bass and overalll more refined sound though. YMMV

Don't let the cost of these cans fool you..

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 12
I am facing the same problem. Since I've never tried KSC75's, do they leak less then SR60's?

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 12
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I would not get MS2i for use at work.

......I'd never get any work done!
very_evil_smiley.gif

MS-1 could be a good choice though!
smily_headphones1.gif

...no amp required, the price is right, and they can be ordered with either 1/4 or 1/8" plug. And, they sound great at low volumes! They do opera fairly well but are a bit lacking on the biggest of the big classical pieces.

Smaller choral works, chamber music and string quartets are represented nicely, but you feel as though you are standing there looking over the conductors shoulder at the podium for the really big stuff.
plainface.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 12
I'ved tried both at work - Grado SR-60s and KSC75s. The KSCs leak less in my opinion. I prefer using the KSCs from a "don't bother the neighbors" perspective and I find them more comfortable.

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #11 of 12
I think in-ear types are terrible. I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but I cannot stand isolation of that level. You can hear yourself swallow or chewing. You can't hear a doorbell or the phone. I also hate the pressure in my ear canal and can't tolerate the feeling very long.

Some people don't mind those factors, but I thought I'd toss out my feelings on them for your consideration.

I found a comfortable compromise with Sony EX90s. I think they are wonderful for music, but... they do leak sound, because they are not sealed. In turn, you are not completely isolated either. Depending on your volume level, I doubt it would be very bad at work. Comparable to the Koss types I'm sure. You can check them out here. They go for $99, but I found mine for $85 on sale at CircuitCity. (avoid the $60 eBay fakes) They are low impedance and very high sensitivity, theres definitely no amplifier required for these to sound great.

If that doesn't suit you, I think you can't really go wrong with the KSC75 or KSC35, especially for their price. They get alot of praise here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back