Need recommendation for IEM's at $50 or less (a little bit more is fine too)...
May 9, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChorniyVolk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
average_joe: By ADDIEM you mean the Apple Dual Drivers that tstarn06 mentioned?

Yes!

Quote:

I actually have no time for trial and error or returns hehe, I'm leaving the country this coming wednesday.

So the ADDIEM trumps both the PK3's and the NE-7s?

I mainly listen to rock, mostly alternative rock, sometimes metal, sometimes I go to pop, classical, rap, techno, my tastes are all over the place, which was why I needed a good all around IEM.

The difficult part about the 3 for me is I don't have the PK3s here now (out on loan) and I haven't spent a ton of time with the ADDIEM, especially in critical listening situations. I have compared the NE-7 and ADDIEM a little more with trance and house via my Clip HP out, as that is the only music I have on the Clip right now. I do prefer the NE-7 due to the bass impact. And I have to turn the volume up louder with the ADDIEM for the sound to be as impactful as I want

But for rock I remember that the PK3 was much better IMO. Can't compare with the ADDIEM, but from memory (which really doesn't mean much), the soundstage of the PK3 is better than the ADDIEM. I know the ADDIEM is more detailed than the PK3, as the NE-7 is more detailed than the PK3 and the ADDIEM is more detailed than the NE-7. What I am figuring out about the ADDIEM is the best insertion depth for me, as the sound does change quite a bit at different depths (as is the case with all my IEMs).

Quote:

Sound sig?

And by airy presentation do you mean a sense of space between you and the sound?

Yes, space or soundstage. IMO it makes rock just sound plain good. And sound sig, listening to Nirvana with the ADDIEM and I can hear every note and detail easily. So if you want to easily hear all the nuances of the instruments, the ADDIEM is a better choice. If you want a overall well put together presentation that is great for just listening, the PK3s might be better. And if you want deep bass impact, the NE-7 will fit the bill.

Quote:

As far as isolation, I don't know, I suppose the best I can get, my house is quiet, but here I just use my HD555s, and outside I suppose it depends on the area, but it'd be wonderful to lose all outside sounds and only hear music, I've never really tried any sort of noise-canceling.

And about the PK3's, again, I'm worried about them not going into the canals. I'm fine with spending a little bit more time to counter the lack of ease of insertion on other IEM's.

The PK3s won't allow you to lose the outside world, but when music is playing, they do drown out a lot. Both the ADDIEM and NE-7 are much better with the ADDIEM being best IMO.

And I am not sure what you mean by the PK3s not going into the canal, you mean the bud part being too big? They don't actually go in your canal, that is an IEM.

Quote:

I'm also wondering about clip ons like the KSC75's, how do they compare to canalphones in quality of sound and isolation?

KSC75s sound good when Kramer modded, but when I critically listened to them I realized why they are priced where they are priced. They are very good if you haven't heard the good stuff in the $40-$50 range, but not giant killers. And the isolation is next to none.

Quote:

On an unrelated note, it's funny, I started out planning to only spend $20 at the most. I'm not much of an audiophile and I don't really go out much (so headphones ftw) but I figured I'd buy a pair to maybe listen to music when I go to sleep (I sleep on my stomach, so headphones ftl) and for the time I spend in another country. So I looked, and found the CX300s, which had a great price, then I figured, well, how bout a little more, and then a bit more, and then I had a budget of $50, and now I don't even know if I should keep it at $50 or go up to $100, or $200, or whatever.

For a non-audiophile though, sub-$100 or even just around $50 should be great though, no? I'm still very happy with my HD555's, so all I need is a travel solution close or equal to them, and I think I'd be pretty delighted.

I totally understand. I had the V-Moda Bass Freq, then I found this place. Got the NE-7, then wondered what $100 would get me. I didn't like anything in that range so I decided to go to the $200 range. Was going to get the X10 but the IE8 caught my eye, and I bit. I am so very happy I did. I would guess the IE8s (or UM3X) would make you forget about your HD555's. I was going to get D2000s but am not sure they are any better or even equal to the IE8.

So just take the plunge and get a high end IEM now, your wallet will thank you down the road!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stay away from VModa. And the J2s and the CX400s are not going to be better than the NE-7M, ADDIEM or PK3 (though I have owned neither). One thing, if you get the ADDIEMs, you may need different tips. Try to the OEM silicones (three sizes), but if they are not great, you can use Comply foamies.

Yea, stay away from VModa and the J2s. Actually the J2s were my first Head-fi purchase because of a buy-one-get-one-free, and luckily I sold mine on ebay and recouped my money (my wife still has hers because the color matched her Clip).

So, if you get an IEM (not the PK3 or KSC75), be prepared to take some time, a few days or even weeks to discover the IEM position and tips that give the best sound. Spending the time can dramatically improve the sound. Or maybe you will get lucky and have great sound from the get go!

May 9, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #17 of 28
Alright, so with the info you guys have given me, and my own personal preference, I think I'll avoid the PK3's and the KSC75's, if only because I want an IEM for isolation and the ability to have them be stuck in my canal snugly.

So for IEM's under $100 I'm looking at

- ADDIEM (don't know where to find these though
frown.gif
)
- NE-7M
- Denon 551's (any comments on these?)

I was looking at some other threads, and people seem to think that the ADDIEM has teeny sound or something, you figure it's just the position of it in their ears or is that a valid complaint?

I don't really need an airy presentation, I think that having the music right next to me, regardless of genre, is great, so the PK3's don't have much for me I think.

If I were to spend a little more, what would you recommend? I mean, I can go ahead and buy $1000 IEM's, but keep in mind that I am not an audiophile, and, again, my best sound experience comes from these HD555s, so how much do you figure I should spend for the best price-to-performance ratio for someone like me? $200?

I'm actually running out of time hehe, I leave wednesday night, wonder if amazon has some sort of coupon for free two-day shipping (and for that matter, where can I get coupon codes for items? All these damn half-assed sites with lists, if only I could find a really good one)

May 9, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #19 of 28
Holy ****! $35, in the same state, free shipping?

Er, well, I suppose bass isn't extremely important, only 10% of my songs need it, and detail is always great...

So the ADDIEM only loses to the NE-7M in the bass area then?

I was thinking of holding out for a $200 pair of IEM's or whatever, but maybe I should get these, roll with them for a month or two while I'm in another country, get used to the higher quality of sound, and then come back enlightened and start upgrading to the expensive ones, how's that for a plan?

May 9, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChorniyVolk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy ****! $35, in the same state, free shipping?

Er, well, I suppose bass isn't extremely important, only 10% of my songs need it, and detail is always great...

So the ADDIEM only loses to the NE-7M in the bass area then?

I was thinking of holding out for a $200 pair of IEM's or whatever, but maybe I should get these, roll with them for a month or two while I'm in another country, get used to the higher quality of sound, and then come back enlightened and start upgrading to the expensive ones, how's that for a plan?

Good plan, but you'd better hurry, if you need them by Wednesday. I've purchased 4 pair of ADDIEMs (one for me, the rest for friends and daughter) from this ebay seller. THey are "used" but only in name, as the are more than likely returns. Also, as I said, the stock tips may not be perfect, but Comply foamies (T140 or T130) are great.

I don't recommend the RE2s for you, because they are fine IEMs, but are extremely bass lite and need an amp to sound their best. I own those too.

May 9, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #22 of 28
Hmm, I'll try the stocks, I can handle a bit of rape to the ol' ears til I get better tips, if I need them anyway.

With priority and in the same state, I figure they'll come in time, it'd be even better if the dude ships today (is the post open today?)... EDIT: Awww, gotta wait til monday.

Well since I've got time, so these along with my plan should be great for me then? No regrets?

and thanks for all the help guys, really really appreciate it.

May 10, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #23 of 28
I just did a NE-7/ADDIEM comparison using different tips for the ADDIEM here.

For me the ADDIEM is finicky about placement and tips, so the more experimenting, the better. If you look at this thread you can get some other opinions on tips.

May 10, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #24 of 28
Yeah, I suppose, I just don't know what to compare the sound to while I'm experimenting, to find the best position that is. I guess I can just go off of what sounds best to me?

That thread though, along with your post just makes me move away from the ADDIEM's though, considering I can get them for $35, they sounded fantastic, but now I'm doubting them. The NE-7M's though, they go for another $10-$15.

Didn't you say that the ADDIEM's trump the NE-7M's (and the PK3's) and that the only place they lose is in the bass area, which I might be able to artificially fix if need be? Or was that comparison all about bass then?

EDIT: On second thought, actually reading the thread, interesting, and it isn't getting much negative response. I'll have to check out the other ADDIEM thread too, wonder if I can get a hold of some of these tips in another country.

So it seems that the ADDIEM's with my plan should be good, er wouldn't you agree? And are the stock tips that horrible for a newbie, or is this more of a "I've tried a lot of tips in my day, son" thing?

May 10, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #26 of 28
Yeah, I suppose in my effort to avoid buyer's remorse, I forgot that $35 isn't all that much really.

As far as competition, I'm assuming the differences won't be glaringly obvious to someone like me, so I'm not missing out really.

And again, thanks for all the help.

Jun 9, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #28 of 28
Why not go with something better-known?

The recommendations in this thread are great:
PK3 ($39)
ADDIEM ($35)
NE-7M ($50+ship)
RE2 ($39)

I would also add:
UE Metro.Fi 200v ($25)
Altec Lansing UHP336 ($35)
Soundmagic PL30 ($23)