need recommendation for a cheap noise-isolating earphones
Jul 11, 2011 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shinew

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I haven't been to the forum for years and haven't been up to date with the current huge selection of the earbuds in the market. I'm looking for a new pair of in-ear headphones and hoping i can get some recommendation from the more experienced folks here.

These are the key features that I would like to have for the headphones:
- decent sound qualityfor the price(no overly exaggerated bass or highs) 

- blocks some outside noise. it doesn't have to be as noise isolating as my ety-4, but I need some noise isolating because they'll mostly be used outside.
- secure fit, not microphonic
- cheap. the cheaper the better, but definitely not more than $50 bucks, under $30 would be even better.
- preferably not black in color. this is minor point.

I'll mostly be using the headphones using my ipod Nano(square one) for running, cycling, and occasionally on public transportation in NYC for audiobooks, and music from classical, jazz to pop, so I'm not looking for true high fidelity, just decent.

thank you very much for your input!

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 7
If you can find a legit pair of ADDIEMs on Ebay, those tend to isolate well for me.  Some ThinkSound headphones might also too (I know the TS02 is pretty good with isolation as well), however, these might emphasize bass/treble.  At that low price point, it's really hard to find something with these features.  The ADDIEMs (unoffically bought) are the main things I can think up of.  All of these need deep insertion to isolate properly.

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 7
thanks for your input tinyman! what are the full name of the "ADDIEMs" you were referring to? I'm not very familiar with current IEMs since the market seem to have exploded into gazillion offerings now days.

I'm slightly linear on the price up to $100, but only if the headphones are really durable or the brand have great repair/exchange policy. Since the new headphones will receive plenty of active use for my running & cycling hobby, I expect to replace them periodically when they break down, thus the low budget for my new purchase. Given my not-so-demanding expectation for the sound quality, I would imagine my budget is more than enough. To provide a sense of expected fidelity, let's just say that I've been happy with the Apple standard headsets I've been using, but they just don't provide enough sound isolation.
atsmile.gif
 The only thing i cannot stand is the overly exaggerated highs or lows.

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 7
Apple Dual Driver IEMs.  They retail for 80, but can be found on EBay (from a reputable dealer) for around 30.  Be aware fakes though, these are faked a lot.  ThinkSound has the TS01 (no idea what the sig sounds like), Rain (No ideas on signature), and TS02 (emphasizes bass and treble).

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 7
If you want isolation, check out the Etymotic ER6i. They are a little light on bass though.

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 7
Klipsch X1?  They're the second best in isolation of my iems after the HF5s, and only £20 in the UK (about $30ish).

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll look into Klipsch, for the $80 bucks apple in-ear headphones, I actually had 2 pairs lasted approx 2 years, one broken & lost the last one. I was quite impressed with the sound quality for the cost, however, to me they were not sound isolating at all.

Has anyone used MAXIMO iM-590/IM-490 ? Headroom seems to be recommending them and according to headroom, it's neutral sounding. http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/top-picks/maximo-imetal-im590.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back