Need recommendation for $80 budget
Feb 14, 2010 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

darkpeanut

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow Head fi'ers
Music is very important to me.Music is a source of inspiration for me and also helps me deal with my daily tasks. Therefore i ask you friends to suggest me a great set of in ear monitors that will suit my music style. Currently my source is a ipod 5 generation and i use the px 100's to listen to the music. In all honesty i feel that these headphoes are just boring there bass just completely muffles most of the music and everything just seems dead and boring to listen to. i am looking for a phone that is not flat that has a nice rich bass that will pull me into my music but also has some good treble and clarity. i listen to mainly rock such bands and chevelle, sick puppies, breaking Benjamin, linkin park, disturbed and element eighty, i also listen to trance techno and vocal trance and i sometimes enjoy listening to original soundtracks from the last samuri and memoirs of a geisha. i have read several reveiws including jokers 40 iem thread and have been thinking about the klipsch s4 and the imetal Maximo im590 if anyone has any advice about there thoughts on which is better please don't hesitate to put your two cents in also if you know something that is better then these and are within the 80 dollar price range please offer your insights into the the in ear monitor i am open to all suggestions so please advise me as you see fit. This will be my first in ear monitor so i hope it will be a good one. also i have heard the re0's and am not fond of there sound signature to me they just lack the bass necessary to pull me into my music. Other then that everything is game up to the 80 dollar range.

Feb 14, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 18
well i personally love the Re0's

but for more bass ive heard the Klipsch s4's are great and in that price range.

check em out

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 18
Look towards the Hippo VB. Not as accurate as the RE0 but it should be more fun.

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 18
hmm hippos vb's look really interesting but what are peoples thoughts on them compared to the similar priced klipsch s4 and is the site that the vb's are sold on legitimate. it looks kind of fishy with no return policy or privacy policy please share your experiences with me

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 18
i listened to my friend's Klipsch S4's last week and he's really happy with his purchase. i can't comment too much on the sound since i didn't listen to them for too long (but still felt they couldn't compare to my TF10s), but he insists they're better SQ than his old ~$100 shures that were stolen from him. i will say this much tho, they sure are COMFORTABLE
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 18
well i paired the re0's with the ipod touch 2 gen and and ipod 5 gen that is rock boxed in both instances i found the re0 were just lacking the necessary bass to create an engaging experience with my rock music also tried on a laptop and still found it lacking in bass

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkpeanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i paired the re0's with the ipod touch 2 gen and and ipod 5 gen that is rock boxed in both instances i found the re0 were just lacking the necessary bass to create an engaging experience with my rock music also tried on a laptop and still found it lacking in bass

thats because you were plugging it into an ipod....and even my computer doesnt output the same sound quality as my P3...sorry but if u pair it with a Sony X or Sammy P3 that it has lacking bass argument is false

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 18
by the way ri thanks for the link people seem to be happy with jaben i think iam gonna pick up a pair of hippos as it sounds super in the review. They are compared to much higher end models whereas the klipsh lots of mixed reviews. if anyone else has any suggestion iam all open ears so keep em coming guys and thanks for everyone who posted i also consider your thoughts

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 18
well sure stereo if you put it in those sources itll probably play well since those source tend to be on the warmer side. unfortunately i bought my ipod when i was younger and had not known anything about music players so i guess i am stuck with this weak bright sounding source. In any case the hippos should help me in that sense. In the case of plugging the phones into the pc it should have enough power to give off a much better sound then a player would given you if you have a nice sound card inside i would be tons better then a Sony or a p3

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkpeanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and i disagree, obviously we ALL have differing ears and interests. its so tough to take recommendation because of that.

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by StereoIntegrity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0 or Hippo VB.....RE0 sounds better but Hippos are a lil more fun with being more bass heavy...but depending on what u pair the RE0 with it could produce almost as much bass

No chance in hell ! I have listened to both and there is a world of difference in the volume of the bass in each phone. (Notice the word volume, not quality). The RE0 had hardly any bass (from my Amp3 which is not a bassy source) while the VBs have a bit too much bass for my liking (from the same source !).

That said both the RE0 and VBs have rather accurate bass. The VBs can hit very low and have really nice punch. But the treble on the VB is slightly harsh (and sibilant for me but most others have no issues with sibilance). The RE0 has a lovely treble that is almost fatigue free.

Many people have sold their RE0s since they felt bass is lacking. I would bet that no one has ever sold their VBs for lacking bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back