Need Recommendation: AKG K240 vs JVC HA-RX900
Jan 11, 2015 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nhoclesnar

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I recently found a deal online that allows me to purchase the AKG K240 for the same price as the JVC HA-RX900 headphone, specifically for $60. However, I'm having difficulty deciding which one to purchase. Originally, I set my mind to buy the JVC as many people praised it for its high sound quality. The AKG is a relatively old headphone, so I wonder if it is worth getting it over the relatively newer JVC. I use headphones mostly to listen to pop music and for playing FPS games. I appreciate the openeness of the sound and the strong (but not consistently overwhelming) bass that sets the rhymth of the song. Based on my usage and preference, which one of the two headphones will be more suitable for me? Please help out (the deal is gone fast)!

As a bonus, can anyone please also comment on the sound quality between the HA-RX700 and the HA-RX900? Is the RX900 worth spending $20 more?

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 9
I also want to ask about the Koss ProDJ100. A user compared them to the AKG 240K and gave them a lot of praises, as seen here. I wonder if it is better than the JVC, however. I'm particularly concerned about the lack of bass in the ProDJ100 as some users had mentioned. What would be the best choice in all these three headphones?

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 9
What equipment will be feeding and powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

The K240 is semi-open--are you OK with that?  They are also anemic from many low power sources, including at least some on board computer audio.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 9
Thank you for all the replies so far!

I will use the headphones mostly on my desktop computer which doesn't have a dedicated sound card. Because honestly, I think my integrated sound card sounds as good as a dedicated one anyway. I bought a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX to test out my headphones and speakers and I saw no difference in sound quality. Right now I have no intention to buy an amp or anything fancy like that either.

I also plug the headphones in my laptop and sometimes into my phone for listening to music. I don't mind if they're open or closed, if they have sound isolation or not. I just want good headphones that have a good, balanced sound with adequate bass.

If the AKG K240 doesn't sound vivid without an amp, do you recommend the HA-RX900 then? Or are they not the best value? My budget is around $60 + or - $10.

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 9
I suspect that you need at least moderate quality headphones and/or speakers to get the benefit of a decent sound card--plus good quality (recording, mastering and format) music files.

The K240 needs an amp.  The DJ100 is also a good (in its case mid-centric) can that will work from with low powered devices, but may or may not give you the volume level you desire.

The JVC is good for the bottom rung, but that's not saying much.

Save a bit more money and get a CAL!.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 9
Wow thank you! I read an extensive review comparing the CAL!, M50, and the Sennheiser Momentum and found the CAL! quite into my liking. So I ordered a used pair for $50 and am awaiting their arrival. I also ordered two pairs of Polk Audio Buckle headphones because they are on sale for super cheap right now. I listened to them in Fry's and found the sound quality to be amazing. Oh God, out of all the headphones displayed for samples in Fry's that day, those Polk headphones were the best-sounding one. I was stalled by the $250 price tag in store but for $40 on Amazon right now...I cannot resist buying it xD.

Holy mother of Talos...I still cannot believe the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back