Need reciever help
Sep 3, 2006 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Eisenhower

500+ Head-Fier
Im thinking about setting up a system in my dorm room. As of right now, I think the insignias seem to be a good choice as I am a cheap *******.

pioneer vsx-516s:
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...&sku=PRVSX516S

onkyo tx-sr503:
http://www.ubid.com/Onkyo_TX-SR503_5...searchall.html

Or any of the cheaper onkyo's: http://www.shoponkyo.com/products.cfm?group_id=1

What Im trying to do, I dont know if this is possible, is to run the optical out on my emu 0404 to the reciever, and also have my dvd player's rca into the reciever, that why I can use the reciever for both my comp's music, and also dvd's.

Sep 3, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 24
Can anyone save this guy and recommend a cheap integrated and dac?
Whats your maximum budget?
Go used on everything. In a couple of years you'll want to dump that receiver and you probably wont even be able to get $50 for it. Do it right the first time and you'll enjoy it more and be able to sell it for more when it comes time to upgrade.

Sep 3, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 24
If your intention is to set up a surround sound system, then the Onkyo 503 is excellent for the price. If all you need is a 2 channel stereo set up, you should go a stereo integrated amp.

Sep 3, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 24
All I need is stereo sound.
Whats the difference between a receiver and a stereo integrated amp?

Anyways, if not the ones listed, any good integrated amps for under $200?

Sep 4, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 24
the first rule of receivers: "I before E except after C"
tongue.gif

the second rule of receivers, with few exceptions, the quality of components is compromised by the need to cram as much functionality in as possible.

integrated amps:

you might want to look for a used NAD C320BEE on audiogon. great budget amp, warm and smooth.

the Pioneer Elite A-35R is also supposed to be very good for the price... you can find them new for $150 or less, i think. i've not heard it myself, however.

Sep 4, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 24
If your speakers are not bright/"brightish", forget about all these analog receivers, especially on a tight budget.
Just go with the Panny SA-XR55 (or 57): clear, smooth and neutral! Plus, no need for a dac/preamp, just feed it digital from dvd player, computer, etc. With the right speakers, you can have a truly midrange audiophile sound.

Sep 4, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
All I need is stereo sound.
Whats the difference between a reciever and a stereo integrated amp?

Traditionally, purists would have separate boxes, one for each of pre-amp, power-amp, and radio tuner.
  1. The pre-amp had all the connections and switches and control knobs.
  2. The power amp just sat there like a lump and made power.
  3. An integrated amp is box containing one or more power amps and a pre-amp. If you want radio, you have to plug a tuner into it.
  4. A receiver is an integrated amp with a radio tuner built into it.
There are many esoteric arguments to have over the issue of putting everything in one box. Let's not go there for now. Receivers often give much more bang-for-the-buck, simply because the manufacturing and distribution system is set up for them, plus the absence of redundant parts. You generally pay a premium for separates. Whether the premium is worth it is a topic for near-religious arguments.

There are crappy receivers and there are very good receivers. I don't know which brands of receiver are preferred these days. (There was a time when Carvers were good, and there was a time when Denon's where good. But this is old news, I don't know what receivers provide good sound nowdays.) But I guarantee you there are some that will provide very good performance per dollar just as an amp (you get the radio and other junk you don't need for cheaper-than-free).

Sep 4, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
Traditionally, purists would have separate boxes, one for each of pre-amp, power-amp, and radio tuner.
  1. The pre-amp had all the connections and switches and control knobs.
  2. The power amp just sat there like a lump and made power.
  3. An integrated amp is box containing one or more power amps and a pre-amp. If you want radio, you have to plug a tuner into it.
  4. A receiver is an integrated amp with a radio tuner built into it.
There are many esoteric arguments to have over the issue of putting everything in one box. Let's not go there for now. Receivers often give much more bang-for-the-buck, simply because the manufacturing and distribution system is set up for them, plus the absence of redundant parts. You generally pay a premium for separates. Whether the premium is worth it is a topic for near-religious arguments.

There are crappy receivers and there are very good receivers. I don't know which brands of receiver are preferred these days. (There was a time when Carvers were good, and there was a time when Denon's where good. But this is old news, I don't know what receivers provide good sound nowdays.) But I guarantee you there are some that will provide very good performance per dollar just as an amp (you get the radio and other junk you don't need for cheaper-than-free).

Good recievers:
Yamaha
Denon
Outlaw
Martanz
Harman Kardon
okoyne (Spelling)

Pioneer is good but only their mid to hi line...

Sep 4, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Im thinking about setting up a system in my dorm room. As of right now, I think the insignias seem to be a good choice as I am a cheap *******.

pioneer vsx-516s:
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...&sku=PRVSX516S

onkyo tx-sr503:
http://www.ubid.com/Onkyo_TX-SR503_5...searchall.html

Or any of the cheaper onkyo's: http://www.shoponkyo.com/products.cfm?group_id=1

What Im trying to do, I dont know if this is possible, is to run the optical out on my emu 0404 to the reciever, and also have my dvd player's rca into the reciever, that why I can use the reciever for both my comp's music, and also dvd's.

I work at BB.. Insignia's suck.. THD of 1 or higher is pretty bad..Lot of distortion..

Sep 4, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
But I guarantee you there are some that will provide very good performance per dollar just as an amp (you get the radio and other junk you don't need for cheaper-than-free).

but he was listing surround receivers. nearly all of them in the $200 range will be lacking in audio quality compared to a budget 2-channel integrated.

although, you can occasionally find the panasonic SA-XR55 digital amp for near that price, and that thing is pretty close to a giant killer.

Sep 4, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 24
One thing to keep in mind is that, I am running $40 speakers, so I wonder if the xr-55 is overkill. Maybe something like a super t-amp would be good?

Of course, I may end up buying or building nicer bookshelves later on.

Sep 4, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

One thing to keep in mind is that, I am running $40 speakers, so I wonder if the xr-55 is overkill. Maybe something like a super t-amp would be good?

Of course, I may end up buying or building nicer bookshelves later on.

i haven't heard the super t-amp, but the original one was fine enough for 30 bucks, although it only has enough juice for very efficient speakers and the bass from the stock unit is anemic at best.

edit: if you're considering the son of t-amp (or whatever they call it) you should definitely keep the pioneer A-35 in the running, as well. about the same price.

Sep 4, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 24
The pioneer looks good, has anyone actually used it?

So, I would run digital out (or rca?) from my emu 0404, to the a-35r?

Sep 5, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

The pioneer looks good, has anyone actually used it?

So, I would run digital out (or rca?) from my emu 0404, to the a-35r?

The Pioneer will only accept analog signal....like almost all stereo receivers and integrated amps.

Do a search in the amp section using "Pioneer A-35R". You will find your answer there regarding comments after usage.

Sep 5, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #15 of 24
I bought a similar model Onkyo and I think the one in your link is excellent for the price.

One thing I like about the Onkyo receivers is that they are easy to use and you don't ever have to read the owner's manual to figure out how to set your system up. The button layout is very intuitive.

As Soundboy mentioned in the previous post, I don't believe there is an optical in on this receiver. If you soundcard has analog outs then you can hook it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back