Need reccomendations
Oct 19, 2008 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TheBlackMagus

New Head-Fier
Ok. I'm new to the headphone business (and doubt I'll ever become any sort of expert) but I need some advice. I've been looking at a number of different headphones, reading reviews, and comparing prices, and I'm kind of stuck on what to get. I guess here's what I'm looking for
Decent Quality: I listen to mostly techno, classical, and rap so I need quality in both upper and lower registers but it doesn't have to be phenomenal so if it's too weak sometimes or to strong others I don't mind.

Comfort: I don't wear my head phones for very long periods of time but I'd prefer it not to feel like my head is being squeezed. On that note my head is average sized (I guess) and I'd like a headphone that covers my entire ear

Durability: I'm notorious for thing breaking or being damaged on me so I'd like something that won't wear out quickly or at all. I plan on keeping these nestled around my neck when not listening to them, but primarily using them at my computer and when traveling (airplanes and other loud places). So they don't need to be indestructible, but sturdy

Moderate noise cancellation/ Minimal leakage: Since I will be using these in my dorm I can't have my roommate hearing my music. At the same time I want these to be my travel headphones so they need to block out enough airplane or train noise so that I can enjoy whatever I am listening to.

So they don't need to be perfect or even great. They just need to be good and last me. As far as price goes I'm trying not to spend too much. Around $100 would be fine, less than that preferred, and I won't go above 125.

What I've been looking at. Looking at Amazon this is what I'm considering getting

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Headphones:
Reservations: Don't see too much about noise cancellation, but I could be wrong

Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 QuietPoint Active Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Reservations: Not many really. Just don't know if they're as good as they sound

Sennheiser HD-280 Professional Headphones
Reservations: I lot of reviews say that the headband is plastic and will crack, causing them to need to be replaced

Koss Pro-4AA Studio Quality Headphones (or their Titanium Pro cousins)
Reservations: They are pretty heavy so I do not know how comfortable they are.

Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series
Reservations: Again I just don't know if they are as good as they sound.

Sorry for this wall of text but if anyone can recommended anything for me or make a recommendation from these I would be greatly appreciative.

Oct 19, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 3
As far as the ANC7's, people tend to avoid active noise cancellation because it wears on the battery and it creates electrical noise (no experience, just what I've heard.) The HD280's should do almost as well or just as well at canceling noise as the ANC7's.

Oct 19, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 3
I support 280 pros though their bass presence is a bit lean

you can get a pair used here for about 60 bucks any day, sometimes cheaper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back