Need Reccomendation for DAP & AMP for use with Shure SE846...
Mar 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

y2jdmbfan

100+ Head-Fier
Guys,

Currently I have Westone 4R's and a RSA Tomahawk hooked to either an iPod classic w/ 30 pin connector, iPad Retina Mini via lightning to 30-pin connector adapter or iPod nano 6th gen via the same adapter. I just bought the Shure SE846 and am looking at getting a Fiio X3 for playing around with lossless audio files. I don't want to spend $1,000 on a DAP, and would probably be using the iPod Nano most of the time when not using the Fiio X3. 

1. Do I need an amp when using the Shure SE846 or Westone 4R with the Fiio X3?
2. If so, would the RSA Shadow be a good fit?
3. How good is the Fiio X3 for the price?
4. If I want to use an iPod nano 6th gen or iPad Mini w/ Retina with the Shure SE846, what would be a good amp to use with it? The RSA Shadow?

Thanks,

Y2J 

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 12
1. The Fiio X3 already has an integrated headphone amp so you don't need one per se. I would imagine it would do a pretty good job without such a need for a more powerful, higher-wattage portable amp.

2. I don't know anything about the RSA Shadow so I can't tell you anything about that sorry.

3. The Fiio X3 looks like a great combo for in-ear monitors. However it may not be able to drive $1000 IEMs to their fullest potential like a desktop/stationary DAC/AMP would.

4. It would be a waste to use such inferior technology, such as an iPod Touch with such expensive IEMs. The Fiio X3 is probably meant to drive something expensive and worth a damn when it comes to hifi. The DAC and integrated audio chips in an iPod is crap. iPods are not meant for Hi-fiers, they're meant for regular people who are happy with 192kbps music files and cheap $10 headphones.

You say you don't want to spend $1000 on a DAC/AMP combo.

The best possible setup for you without spending a lot of money on a DAC/AMP would be to just use the Fiio X3. I've never used it before but I can guarantee it will provide MUCH MUCH higher quality sound than any crap Apple has released for listening to music.

Mar 20, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 12
I don't think the integrated amplifier/DAC in Apple products are that bad. That being said, I do think you're not doing the 846 justice with just your Idevice although it should drive them adequately. In my limited experience I find the sound from my iphone 5s to my Shure 535ltd to be fine, especially with most modern music that is generally pretty compressed as is.

I'm using the CanOpener App to run my music which should let you load and play FLAC if you're so inclined. Usually when I'm listening to a portable source I'm out and about so even with good isolation I find it to be a bit noisy to worry about any critical listening.

At home I run my audio from my MacBook pro to my Fiio E17 via optical cable and have been very happy with the results. I run my Itunes through BitPerfect which helps the audio quality a bit as well. It is a better sound overall and more dynamic but has never made me think the sound running straight out of my iphone/ipod was crap. Listen to your home setup then compare it to your portable rig. If you find it grossly lacking go from there. To get the best out of your IEMs a portable amp/dac would probably help you get a bit more bang out of them.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 12
Maybe I exaggerated a bit when I said the hardware in Apple devices is crap, but I do stand by my initial statement that they're not very good and are NOT meant for hi-fiers or audiophiles.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 12
It's completely up to you to change the bass and treble on the X3.

Most, if not all, hi-fiers mess around with EQs and tone (bass/treble) controls to suite the sound to their liking.

If you've never messed with tone or EQ control, you're missing out.

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #11 of 12
  Is it wrong to use the Bass & Treble on the Fiio X3 to adjust the sound of the SE846's to my liking? Or should I be using these with no eq adjustments whatsoever?

Depends on who you are asking. A purist will tell you to get another set of IEMs that fits your favourite signature and not mess with EQ. Others will say that EQ exist to tweak the signature to fit your liking. I, for one, have no issue with people using the EQ settings. In fact, there's a thread here that showed how one person used EQ to tweak his SHE3580 to sound almost as good as, if not better, than the etys.

At the end of the day, the SE846 are yours and it is your own listening pleasure. Do whatever that makes your listening more pleasurable. If you enjoy using them with the bass and treble boost, do it and enter audio nirvana.
beerchug.gif

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 12
Guys,

Currently I have Westone 4R's and a RSA Tomahawk hooked to either an iPod classic w/ 30 pin connector, iPad Retina Mini via lightning to 30-pin connector adapter or iPod nano 6th gen via the same adapter. I just bought the Shure SE846 and am looking at getting a Fiio X3 for playing around with lossless audio files. I don't want to spend $1,000 on a DAP, and would probably be using the iPod Nano most of the time when not using the Fiio X3.

1. Do I need an amp when using the Shure SE846 or Westone 4R with the Fiio X3?
2. If so, would the RSA Shadow be a good fit?
3. How good is the Fiio X3 for the price?
4. If I want to use an iPod nano 6th gen or iPad Mini w/ Retina with the Shure SE846, what would be a good amp to use with it? The RSA Shadow?

Thanks,

Y2J

I tried the SE846 with and without the Fiio Q5 on my iPhone Xs, I have to say I like the sound straight from iPhone better. There seems to be less clarity in the bass coming from the Q5.

however the Q5 does make my SE425 sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back