Need quick help for flight: Android not seeing portable DAC
May 6, 2023 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

msing539

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I'm on a runway and soon won't have Internet. My tablet is a Huawei Matepad, DAC is the Cayin RU6.

I started this up and it was fine but there was some static on low volume. So I disconnected the Cayin, plugged it back in, and now the tablet isn't seeing it.

Cayin works fine on my phone and laptop. Laptop sees tablet fine and I can both charge and transfer files. Restarted tablet both with Cayin connected and after boot.

USB debugging enabled, audio routing enabled over USB. Just seems like the Cayin isn't getting power from the tablet. It was last set on low gain, no OS, mid level volume. Running balanced out, I don't have a 3.5 cable with me.

Any help before I'm stuck on a flight with no audio from this tablet?

May 6, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 6
Check all of the tablet settings and if that does not work, ask the flight attendant about how much the WiFi is on the plane or ask a person with wireless over-ears about borrowing their 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't know which other settings to check on this tablet. I don't see a com android process for USB or I'd try to force stop it and clear the cache. It almost feels like a power saving issue but again, I don't see a USB process to exclude.

May 6, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 6
Update... If I run the dongle through a USB C hub (like USB C to HDMI, USB 3.1, Ethernet)... That powers up the Cayin and it works.

Good enough as a temporary solution but what's going on here?

May 6, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 6
Update... If I run the dongle through a USB C hub (like USB C to HDMI, USB 3.1, Ethernet)... That powers up the Cayin and it works.

Good enough as a temporary solution but what's going on here?

It sounds like your USB-C hub is more compatible with your Cayin than your tablet. Maybe your tablet needs a firmware update.

May 6, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 6
I figured out a solution four hours into the flight. In Android under settings, applications, click the three dots and reset app preferences. This will unfortunately reset all app prefs but was worth it for me.

Hope this helps someone because it's a reoccurring issue with Android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back