Need quick Grado advice..
Mar 18, 2010 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

s4one

100+ Head-Fier
GF is getting a pair of Grado RS1i's for my bday gift but she said I can choose to have the GS1000i.

I currently use 325i's, which ones should I choose?? Another question... Should all of new grados have the sticker to seal the box? As in I will need to break the seal (sticker), the rs1is is sitting next to me and it doesn't have that seal as the 325i's had and my 80is had before.

Thanks

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 18
The RS1i doesn't come stickered shut.

What setup and music are you rocking right now?

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 18
The GS1000 is quite a different animal from the RS-1i and your SR325i's. Chances are, if you think your SR325i's are at the upper end of what you can tolerate, brightness-wise, you won't like the GS1000i.

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 18
I use a project dac (dont know if im spelling it right) and little dot MKIII, I listen to mostly rap, rock, r&b, house, tech, pretty much everything but lack jazz and classical.

I have not listened to the RS1i's yet, I have not taken them out of the box. I haven't listened to the RS1is or GS1000is.

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by s4one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a project dac (dont know if im spelling it right) and little dot MKIII, I listen to mostly rap, rock, r&b, house, tech, pretty much everything but lack jazz and classical.

Given the above, you'll be much better off with the RS1i.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by s4one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GF is getting a pair of Grado RS1i's for my bday gift but she said I can choose to have the GS1000i.

I currently use 325i's, which ones should I choose?? Another question... Should all of new grados have the sticker to seal the box? As in I will need to break the seal (sticker), the rs1is is sitting next to me and it doesn't have that seal as the 325i's had and my 80is had before.

Thanks

What kind of music do you listen to?

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 18
what a great girlfriend

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 18
yeah, you're too lucky

jerk

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what a great girlfriend

x2. I would go for the RS-1i's. They are a considerable upgrade from the SR-325is's and it is very likely that you will not have further upgraditis past that point. The GS-1000's are said to be a different beast, indeed, and are better suited to listening to "non-bassy" music at lower volume levels. You will also be saving your lady $$$ in the process, as the GS-1000's are a bit more expensive than the RS-1i's.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 18
I have the GS1000s and had the RS1i in the past. I totally agree that they are different cans. This might sound strange but I would think about the volume you typically listen at.
I can't articulate what would qualify as 'low-level' listening, so I am sorry if this is a bit vague.

(regardless of the genre of music) I found that the GS1000s are much nicer than the RS1i if you listen at extremely low levels. To me, they are very detailed and the sound signature seems to be tipped-up at both ends to accommodate for low-level listening. Once you start cranking the volume, they can get a bit harsh, depending on the recording. As I listen to my cans at the absolute lowest level my amp can put out, the harshness is not a problem for me, but may be for you.

The RS1i on the other hand is very pleasant at moderate volumes, but misses some of the detail of the 1000s at very low levels. For an all-around set though, the RS1i may prove to be a better choice.

I hope this helps.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 18
Yea I love my gf, shes the best. I got her into headphones when I gave her my first grados, 80i's. I am planning on giving her my 325i's, they are around 2-3months old =/. The funny part is that she was right next to me when I bought them at the store.

Lets say money isn't a big factor. I'm just trying to compared which headphone will be more worth it in the end. Put it this way, if it was you, which would you have? Given that you never tried both or even if you tried both....

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 18
I'd go for the RS1. GS1000 was just, in a word, strange, the one time I heard it.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 18
I own both and, given your taste in music, I think you'll be WAY happier with the RS1. The GS1K can be magical but mainly for detail, soundstage, etc. and are much more suited for classical, IMO. And I agree that they do not excel at high volume for rock. The RS1, on the other hand, are just great rockin' cans that also do jazz very nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back