Need Price Check for ATH-L3000 & Grado PS1
Jul 5, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #16 of 17
The first problem we face is the typical price rise due to increase of demand with constant and limited offer. Actually, it is more of a decreasing offer because as the price go higher only real fans of the sound signature buy them, decreasing a bit the chance of a future sale.

But there is more...

In the last two years the dollar has gone down quite a lot compared with Euros and Pounds, so you would expect higher prices. This could do even more damage than the usual "price rise due to increase of demand with constant and limited offer" on these kind of phones.

When an European head-fier told me a few months ago that he could sell me the K1000 for $1600 I thought he was joking at first. Then he said he just wanted to recover what he paid for it in Euros. I did the math and he was right about asking that price. The dollar is pretty weak these days and this has quite a big impact on expensive items.

You could think that this wouldn't apply to US sellers as they bought the original items in Dollars too but that's wrong. The Dollar could have been 1.30 stronger by then, so you might end selling for the same amount of dollars but not for the same amount of "money", as the value of the dollar is lower now. You can buy less things with that same amount of dollars now.

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #17 of 17
^ That is so sadly true.
frown.gif
But I don't think any of these better end cans have too high a price. You can ask whatever you like, only the truly desiring audiophiles pay for it. Yeah, it would be nice to get some nice stuff for cheap... Dream on. :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Back