need ppl w/ alot of exp. with comp. as source + exp. of many amps ...
Feb 11, 2005 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

dano1122

100+ Head-Fier
yeah yeah, i know, me again... ok well i was about to pull the trigger on a +1k dynahi and i'm very worried it will be overkill by a yard for my setup which is...

hd650 + PC as source(emu 0404, mostly EAC aps mp3s, some flac and some cd audio)... as far as going for the 1212 i've heard its not really a worthy upgrade so i'm not going there. but i need an amp to match up with this setup. recommendations from someone who has alot of experience with different amps on this kind of source and headphone setup? i know i may be asking alot. i hope someone can help me. dont worry about the budget i'm just worried about what amp will not be overkill for this kind of source. if i don't get any good answers then i'm just gona spend the $1k or so on the dynahi and sleep peacefully.

thank you.

Feb 11, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
A $1,000 amp is insanity for an EMU-0404. Why not spend that $1k on a better source (not that the EMU is bad)?

Agree. I think you might consider a DAC + Amp if you prefer to keep the computer as source. You might even consider to go for a Benchmark DAC-1, which has DAC and a pretty nice headphone Amp included. Add a Zu Mobius cable for your 650 with XLR connectors in order to use the XLR output from the DAC1 and you are set.

Cheers

Feb 11, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 26
for a $1000 you can get the DAC1 or for that matter the apogee mini dac or a second hand Grace 901.
Why not keep the 0404 and just output the signal to any of these.
The 901 is a nice amp as it is. clear but a little laid back for my taste.
The DAC1 is an excellent dac with a decent amp thrown in. The mini dac is known for a more mellowed and softer presentation ( based on opinions here). It would be a serious waste of money to go for a $1000 amp with the 0404.
It is good, not gr8.
save the money and spend it on something like a better source like the one's mentioned above.

Feb 11, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 26
what do you mean by a DAC + amp? how is this advantageous over just a DAC?

i wanted to go all the way up the price line for an amp so it will be future proof if i decide to get a good source, etc.

what is all this dac business about? i'm confused. do any of you have experience with a dynahi on this source setup to qualify it as being overkill? if not then why do you believe it is.

Feb 11, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
what do you mean by a DAC + amp? how is this advantageous over just a DAC?

i wanted to go all the way up the price line for an amp so it will be future proof if i decide to get a good source, etc.

what is all this dac business about? i'm confused. do any of you have experience with a dynahi on this source setup to qualify it as being overkill? if not then why do you believe it is.

I have experience with both the 0404 and 1212, the lower level amps I used were more than enough, much less a Dynahi.

You're going about it wrong....start with a headphone or source first, then build around that, not the amp. I've gone through a fair number of headphones and sources, I'd build around my source personally.

You need to tell us why you're insistent on using your pc as a source, then we can explain how the DAC fits into the picture.

Feb 11, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 26
i prefer to listen to music off the computer because i am mainly sitting in front of it when i use headphonesto listen to music and i like it for convenience because i don't have to change discs all the time.

i am definetly sticking to computer as source for a long time so i just need to know, oh and this is with an hd650, what will not be overkill from your experience.

Feb 11, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 26
I've haven't heard the 0404 so I'm assuming it isn't really stellar. While I find the dynahi is an amazing amp, you won't get the full benefit of it if your source isn't up to par. If you really want a dynahi that bad then get it. But I would agree that the benchmark or apogee mini dac first would probably be a better choice, then buying a dynahi later. Personally I perfer the apogee with the 650s over the benchmark

Feb 11, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 26
why would a dac be the better choice and how exactly does it differ from an amp?

Feb 11, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
i prefer to listen to music off the computer because i am mainly sitting in front of it when i use headphonesto listen to music and i like it for convenience because i don't have to change discs all the time.

i am definetly sticking to computer as source for a long time so i just need to know, oh and this is with an hd650, what will not be overkill from your experience.

Ok then...I was once the same with computer as source and understand what you are saying.

A DAC is a digital to audio converter. You use the digital out on your soundcard to connect a cable from the 0404 to the DAC. The DAC then has an RCA or other output that can be sent to an amp. You can't listen directly out of the DAC, you need an amp as a result.

The Benchmark DAC has a headphone amp built in that is decent, you might be able to use that if you like the DAC's sound signature (this DAC was too bright and thin for me, but others swear by it).

The HD-650 is notorious for needing a source and cabling beyond its price point. I'll leave specific amp recommendations for an 0404 to others, all I've heard with the HD-650 was my XP-7 amp, which was fine if you like a darker sound signature and don't find the music veiled.

If you're going to use your computer as source and want to drop a grand, I'd find a DAC you like instead of solely buying an expensive amp.

Feb 11, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 26
ah ok, i see how the dac works now. well, this is to say the 0404 dacs are not up to par. so this is another item to worry about. oh boy.

Feb 11, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 26
I didn't say the 0404 wasn't up to par, it's just not up to par for a Dynahi. I use an 0404 on my computer.

The nice thing about the Benchmark-which isn't true for all DACS-is that it adjusts all incoming signals to it's specifications. The DAC rejects anything that isn't a pure 100% digital signal. So, as long as your player is capable of generating such a signal, it doesn't matter if it's a $100 EMU or a $4K CD player, the sound should sound the same out of the DAC.

I'm sure my way of phrasing the technical stuff isn't right, but the gist is.....you'll get a much higher sound quality than the 0404 is capable of. Assuming you like the sound signature.

Feb 11, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 26
i understand how things can be different. can you lend from experience just how much difference there will be?

Feb 11, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 26
There is enough of a difference to justify buying a high end DAC, particularly if you are set on computer use for music. But don't buy anywhere that you can't audition the equipment first (i.e. return it if you don't like it within x number of days). I know the Benchmark should come with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

Feb 11, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #15 of 26
but you are saying the dac is more important then the amp? or 50/50? from your experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back