Need portable music player reccommendations
Sep 28, 2013 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

NoxNoctum

100+ Head-Fier
I need a music player mostly for work and possibly working out/running (though that's secondary---if I need to I can get something else just for that), that's at least fairly portable, and somewhat durable. My biggest concern though is excellent sound quality. Decent storage size would be nice, though I don't intend to fit all my music collection on it. Being able to play flac and a variety of lossless and non-lossless music files is a big plus.

I'm leaning towards the ipod nano at the moment, but I haven't really had time to look into this too much so I'm sure there are better alternatives with better sound quality and possibly cheaper. I have no need for something that can play video, apps, netflix etc. This is just for my music.

Thanks for any reccommendations.

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 3
I would recommend the iBasso DX50, currently only takes the biggest MicroSD card which is 64GB but it does have OTG function which allows you to use any size USB Pen Drive with it. Other than that I would probably say try to find a refurbished iPod Video 5/5.5th gen which has the Wolfsan DAC. I have a review of the DX50 on my profile

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 3
I need a music player mostly for work and possibly working out/running (though that's secondary---if I need to I can get something else just for that), that's at least fairly portable, and somewhat durable. My biggest concern though is excellent sound quality. Decent storage size would be nice, though I don't intend to fit all my music collection on it. Being able to play flac and a variety of lossless and non-lossless music files is a big plus.

I'm leaning towards the iPod nano at the moment, but I haven't really had time to look into this too much so I'm sure there are better alternatives with better sound quality and possibly cheaper. I have no need for something that can play video, apps, netflix etc. This is just for my music.

Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB, Rockbox it, add a 16GB or 32GB Micro-SD memory card, total should be under $70, maybe even under $60.
If you looking for headphones, JVC HA-S500 folding headphones, $60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back