Need Portable DAP Advise?
Oct 30, 2018 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

steelgtr

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I need a good FLAC player with line out function, prefer volume scroll wheel, great sounding but under $200? I don't want to pay for hi rez if FLAC is as high as I will go if that helps?

thx

bob

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 17
Wow, nobody?
I have a FiiO X3 II. The sound quality is obviously better than my smartphone, but I haven't been using it at all due to lack of parametric equalizer and not being able to stream music.

In 2018, the only reason for a dedicated DAP would be to drive a high impedance headphones which most smartphones don't support.

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 17
I have a FiiO X3 II. The sound quality is obviously better than my smartphone, but I haven't been using it at all due to lack of parametric equalizer and not being able to stream music.

In 2018, the only reason for a dedicated DAP would be to drive a high impedance headphones which most smartphones don't support.

In 2018, I still love big powerful home stereo system, want CD quality w/o having to get up to change discs, etc. Not too much to ask, right? :)

bob

Oct 31, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 17
In 2018, I still love big powerful home stereo system, want CD quality w/o having to get up to change discs, etc. Not too much to ask, right? :)

bob
Misunderstood your question. I thought you want to listen through headphones.
For speakers, you might use a DAP with line out but with a long wire on the floor that some might trip over.
A Bluetooth dongle might also work with a small reduction in sound quality. The distortion of speakers is much higher than the distortion introduced by Bluetooth. It is a cheaper and more convenient option than a DAP.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks, I'm using a classic Ipod 5.5 gen with a long cord which is fine. It isn't handling apple lossless properly so that is my quest. My preamp doesn't support BT so that is out.

thx

bob

Oct 31, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 17
Thanks, I'm using a classic Ipod 5.5 gen with a long cord which is fine. It isn't handling apple lossless properly so that is my quest. My preamp doesn't support BT so that is out.

thx

bob
I meant Bluetooth dongles with line out. There are several that are available for < $50. You connect the dongle to your preamp.

Nov 1, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 17
Well, the version of BT doesn't matter but there is no wireless technology to transmit FLAC. It doesn't exists. Try one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=...prefix=bluetooth+receiver+&crid=2ZJ4HXF484K4S
They are only $25.
LDAC @ 990 kbps enough bandwidth for 16/44 FLAC

BT version doesn't matter it's what codec the devices supports and how much the codec can transmit. Some codecs: SBC, AAC, AptX, AptX LL, AptX HD, LDAC.

Both connecting device must support the codec, and you have to be sure that codec is active.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 17
How about....wait for it...

Shanling M0

It ticks all your boxes. Or box.

Nov 1, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 17
LDAC @ 990 kbps enough bandwidth for 16/44 FLAC

BT version doesn't matter it's what codec the devices supports and how much the codec can transmit. Some codecs: SBC, AAC, AptX, AptX LL, AptX HD, LDAC.

Both connecting device must support the codec, and you have to be sure that codec is active.
LDAC is lossy. Also, there is no Bluetooth receiver that supports LDAC other than Sony headphones and speakers. So, LDAC is irrelevant for his case and his iPhone doesn't support it.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #15 of 17
LDAC is lossy.

https://www.androidauthority.com/sony-ldac-codec-790690/

Sony-LDAC-CD-Quality.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back