need portable amp suggestions
Jun 12, 2005 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nysulli

500+ Head-Fier
looking for a portable amp for my ipod/senn eh2270(closed back 64 ohm input impedence) setup

not looking to break the bank, but anything under 100-150 is game, i'll use it at my computer most of the time, so an ac power input would be preffered

in addition i'm looking to replace the stock cable on my headphones as well, if anyone could suggest a cable that is easy on the bank, but will help bring out a bit more sound quality, or, i've been toying with the idea of using some spare kimber 4vs cable i have sitting around, however given its size, its less then portable (its about 3/8" diameter)

thoughts?

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 8
You ave alot of options so I'd like to throw in the Porta Corda MKll. One in the FS forum for a real good price.(no affiliation) It's the only portable I've tried so take that for what it's worth. The PC MKll sold for well over $200 before the group buy and runs off battery and wall wart. Good luck looking.

Jun 14, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 8
The maker of the SuperMacro is coming out with a Super Macro Light version that should be very fine sounding, judging from most everything else Xin has produced. I would imagine it will be in your price range.

John

Jun 14, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 8
thanks for the suggestions, I've looked at the maxi moy a few times and continure to come back to it, but i also really like what i've been reading on the supermacro v-3, but i didn't know about the supermicro, looks like its almost exactly what i'm looking for, but i'll have to wait for it to come out

now with the maxi moy, are the signature edition or upgraded op amps worth the added 90 and 40 bucks respectively?

Jun 14, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 8
Though relatively inexpensive, I would also suggesty considering the Pocket Amp 2. Its the least expensive amp I know of that can run off AC and even includes the wall wart. The Pocket Amp 2 has a built-in recharger and I suspect that the AC capability originated strictly to recharge the battery. However, the latest versions of the PA2 include circuitry to allow AC powered listening with no resulting hiss or hum. I use battery power on mine almost always, but it works identically with the wall wart attached. Of course, if you should need to run portably, the PA2 does that well, being small in size and able to run on rechargeable NiMH AA's for several days on a charge.

While your budget may be able to get you into the next sonic level, I suggest the PA2 for its AC power capability coupled with respectable sound quality. By adding AC power as a requirement that limits your options quite a bit, and the ones I can think of exceed it. These are generally in the $200 realm unless you can find something on the used market. On the other hand, if you ended up with a Pocket Amp and felt it disappointing, you could probably sell it very easily in the sales form with little loss.

Jun 14, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli
now with the maxi moy, are the signature edition or upgraded op amps worth the added 90 and 40 bucks respectively?

I just received my Maxi Moy Signature in the mail yesterday (ordered it June 1) and I'm very happy with it so far. The Signature version included the OPA627s but if I had ordered the regular version I would NOT have paid for the upgraded opamps - simply because those are expensive opamps and not necessarily "better" than the cheaper ones. Since the Maxi Moy is socketed, I'd suggest just ordering a bunch of opamps separately and trying them out one by one. I bought pairs of AD744, OPA227, OPA604 and NE5434 opamps all for about $25 (you can probably get them for free too).

Drew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back