Need portable amp & dac for use with sensitive IEM and iPod, no hiss!
Mar 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

srr2449

New Head-Fier
I've been scouring the internet for a solid month and I have yet to come to any solid solution for my issue.

I am 100% on board with apple ipod classic, the storage at 160gb is enough for the ALAC files I will be listening to. The UI is just too good for me to go away from. 

My setup is as follows, 1964 V6 ciem > ipod classic 160gb 5th gen > only apple lossless files.

I can't seem to find a portable amp and dac that are the following:

Balanced
Support iDevices
Don't generate a high hiss or imbalance at low volume levels

If anyone out there has a solution to this please help me. Budget is not a concern. I'm ready to throw my PC out the window I'm so sick of searching for the solution. Thanks in advance!

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:
I've been scouring the internet for a solid month and I have yet to come to any solid solution for my issue.

I am 100% on board with apple ipod classic, the storage at 160gb is enough for the ALAC files I will be listening to. The UI is just too good for me to go away from. 

My setup is as follows, 1964 V6 ciem > ipod classic 160gb 5th gen > only apple lossless files.

Balanced
Support iDevices

If anyone out there has a solution to this please help me. Budget is not a concern. I'm ready to throw my PC out the window I'm so sick of searching for the solution. Thanks in advance!

Well, very few DACs support iPods/iPhones, even fewer of those are portable. Actually, I don't know if they support all iPods or just iPhones, so I'll let someone else comment on that before I try to recommend something.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Balanced
Support iDevices

Balanced and low noise for IEMs don't work well together right now. Single ended IEM amps like the Pico Slim is great with sensitive IEMs though.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 15
algorithm solo dac with any amp you want to pair it with (amp has to be balanced)
this is more for amp flexibility

if you want a cheaper and more compact solution, my vote goes for the upcoming centrance m8 though
its balanced, bypass apple devices, eq shaping, and powerful

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 15
You can buy any portable DAC/AMPs and it will work as AMPs only with iPod and DAC/AMPs with PC or MAC and it will improve the soundquality marginaly on iPod and PC. I will recommend the two peices setup like iBasso PB2+DB2 and single unit like RSA The Intrudor, ALO International, MKIII, Continental, Meier PCstep and quickstep.

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #7 of 15
Nah, LODs override internal amps, not DACs. Only apple-approved DACs work on iPod and iPhone. iPads can use any DAC though.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
algorithm solo dac with any amp you want to pair it with (amp has to be balanced)
this is more for amp flexibility

if you want a cheaper and more compact solution, my vote goes for the upcoming centrance m8 though
its balanced, bypass apple devices, eq shaping, and powerful

The centrance m8 that you're recommending... have you heard it somehow already with ciem? I need recommendations off current working combinations please.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

The centrance m8 that you're recommending... have you heard it somehow already with ciem? I need recommendations off current working combinations please.

here the thread for the centrance m8
http://www.head-fi.org/t/622939/the-centrance-hifi-m8-thread
best follow that and their blog (type in centrance m8 blog into google)

it has multiple gain and impedance switches (3 settings each) and its lowest gain has been said to work with iems

it probably wont come out for another couple weeks, though i havent been following it lately so check the blog

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
O.o Just learnt something important there. I never knew that the iPad was different in that way

Yeah, the main thing is that the iPad can use Apple's camera connection kit. iPhone *could* too, but the main issue is that it takes a lot of power, and iPhones can't always supply that. That's why Apple blocks the CCK on iPhone. You can JB and install an app to allow it, but its very hit-or-miss, depends on your DAC.

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 15
I want to thank everyone for their input. I've decided to abandon the ipod after realizing I will be stuck at 16/44.1 forever. 

I have ordered RWAK100 dap to use my 1964Ears V6 ciem with. Yes it's a pricey DAP, but I won't be buying a DAC or AMP for it so I save money in the end and get to listen to master quality audio 
gs1000.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
I want to thank everyone for their input. I've decided to abandon the ipod after realizing I will be stuck at 16/44.1 forever. 

I have ordered RWAK100 dap to use my 1964Ears V6 ciem with. Yes it's a pricey DAP, but I won't be buying a DAC or AMP for it so I save money in the end and get to listen to master quality audio 
gs1000.gif

What music are you listening to? Most music is not available at anything over 16/44.1. That is CD quality.

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
I'm listening to vinyl rips at 24/96 mostly. Hopefully I can get my hands on some even higher that I actually care to listen to.

Ah. I've been contemplating getting something to rip my vinyl, but between buying a nice vinyl ripper (don't even know what they're called) and buying a better DAP, just seems too expensive. Plus I don't even think my DAC supports anything higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back