Need parts for ksc75 recable
Jun 4, 2007 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Thade

100+ Head-Fier
hey all. I searched for a simple how to and I'm having a hard time figuring out what type of cable, sleeves, and mini plug for 1st recable of KSC75. Can you guys recommend some decent parts/sizes? I'd like to try some twisted cable that's an improvement from stock yet fairly inexpensive.

TIA

Jun 5, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 13
Other people are probably going to recommend larger gauge stranded wire, but I'm going to recommend 30 AWG solid silver or silver-plated copper. The silver can be purchased from diyhifisupply for $1/foot and the silver-plated copper you might be able to find on ebay.

If you use 30 AWG wire, you want to buy some 1/8" multifilament techflex, possibly from wirecare.com.

Neutrik mini's are great but are a little slim and slip out of jacks much more easily that Switchcraft plugs; the plating on Switchcraft plugs wears off over time, but are also easier to solder than the Neutriks. Choose the lesser evil in your mind.

Jun 5, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 13
thanks! I found the silver cable but I'm wondering if this 24awg silver plated copper is too thick?
http://cgi.ebay.com/50-feet-24-AWG-S...ayphotohosting

Also, does this type of twisted cable stay twisted? I'm thinking L/R bare wire and sleeve from the Y. Would it be better if I twisted myself? sorry newb questions I know
smily_headphones1.gif

TIA

Jun 5, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 13
The 1/8" techflex would be awesomely hard to fit over the main segment of the headphone cable. You'll want 3/16" for that.

1/8" will work for the leads up to the drivers from the y-split, though.

As for the geometry of the cable, I'd do a 4-wire round braid rather than 2 twisted pairs, just so the cable is a sold unit.

26 AWG is still thick enough to push the KSC-75's around during normal use.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 13
nice! What headphones donated the headband?

oh btw, i ordered wire from the same guy. How long did it take for you to get it in the mail?

Jun 9, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 13
Nice Job! How do they sound now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back