Need paring recommendations for my Shure SE420s
Feb 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wild_fire1979

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I have a pair of Shure Se 420s. I have paired them with 3rd gen ipod nano and listen to mp3 tracks @ 256kbps encoding.

Even though they sound better than stock earbuds. I still feel that the sound does not engulf me the way i would like to. Basically i am looking at the same experience that my B&Ws provide in my living room. Is that even possible?

I am not sure if it is a case of bad encoding (I buy my songs from amazon) or ipod nano does not drive my shures properly.

Can someone recommend me what player i should buy to replace nano or will just buying a portable amp work?

Thanks.

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey mark,

Thanks for replying back
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes I have been using Shures for a while (Owned e4c before), so I am pretty sure that the fit is not an issue.

Any recommendations for what Mp3 player should I buy for this?? Also the portable AMP Fiio E5, will that be helpful?

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 5
well the fiio is great if you want to boost the bass i wouldnt think the 420s really need it, unless you feel them lacking the bass you want

as for mp3 player i really couldnt say but i personally use a 5g ipod, ur nano should be okay with them but yeah there are better things out there.

if fits not the problem then it could just be you dont like the sound signature but if u had the E4c before they should be similar to them but with cleaner highs and better lows

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 5
i'm far from the most experienced guy on here when it comes to iem's but i do have some good general audio knowledge.

i recently decided to get into the high end of iem's. i am currently trying the sa6's, the phonak pfe's and the sennheiser ie8's.

by far, the ie8s are the most similar listening experience to my speakers (which just happen to be b&w's as well
wink.gif
) not that the others are bad but in terms of feeling like i'm sitting in my listening room sans phones, those are the tops of the three from my perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back