need pair of good headphones for under $50
Feb 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

V0UD00

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I've been lurking the forus for awhile now trying to learn about all that I can. I finally decided to join and now here I am. I would consider myself an audiophile in the making. I know what sounds good, I just need to learn the technical ways to explain what I hear and what I want to hear. Right now I am looking for a good pair of headphones on a REALLY tight budget. I know you get what you pay for, but I want the best possible audio experience for the least amount of money. I would like to keep it under $50 dollars. I listen to a lot of rock music, so I'm looking for tight and present bass and a clear, defined mid range. I like a "warm" sound, so I don't want a scooped sounding midrange or a pingy high end. I also have been reading up on the forums about "soundstage" and from what I can tell I think I want to have a larger one. I have mostly used earbuds up until now, I have a pair of Logitech UE 350s.I actually really like them, but the thing I dont like is that they dont sound full enough. Now I am thinking abput getting a pair of Sony MDR 7502s (they are $25 used on amazon) or a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500Rs ($40 used). Are these good choices, and are there better choices for my budget?

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi,

>If you want a wonderful open headphone experience under 50 you should pick a pair of Pioneer SE A1000. Some people got them for under 40 dollars (A steal, definitely.)

Open sounding, with huge soundstage and overall pretty neutral frequency response, with a slight mid bass emphasis. And also pretty lively highs but not really extended.

You can read about them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/677868/pioneer-se-a1000-vs-takstar-hi-2050-open-headphones

and here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/670454/pioneer-se-a1000-appreciation-club-sennheiser-hd-650-for-45

>If you want closed back headphones you should consider Gemini HSR-1000 (Same as Takstar Pro 80)

You can read about them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread

Hope this helps!

x3

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 6
How do the SE A1000s compare to the HDJ 500Rs? The SE A1000s look kinda uncomfortable and ugly lol

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Pioneer Se A1000 are indeed very comfortable headphones. I don't have much experience with HDJ 500 but I'm pretty sure SE A1000s are much more comfortable.

This are two very different headphones. Pioneer Se A1000 are 'borderline' audiophile headphones, while HDJ500 are entry level DJ headphones.

Do you need isolation?

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 6
No isolation is not an issue, I will only be using these for listening in my room and places where I am mostly alone. I would rather have a bigger soundstage than isolation, just as long as the volume level is decently loud

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 6
In that case Pioneers Se A1000 are probably your best bet!
It takes some time to get used to the wide soundstage and the bass that open headphones provide. But after that, the level of 'music immersion' is superior. With the only exception being some sub-bass heavy genres like dubstep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back