need overpowering bass headphones
Feb 13, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #76 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Why exactly do you even want such bass-heavy sound? Why don't you just get two-dollar crappy earbuds and then spend the rest of your money on a subwoofer?
rolleyes.gif

You're asking a hi-fi board for recommendations on anything BUT a hi-fi product/solution.

That's exactly the thing. We aren't a pure hi-fi board, we are a headphone board. So people come here with requests for non hi-fi headphone products that fit their price range and (alternative) needs. For a Hi-Fi board, there are other places that are more pure hi-fi oriented.

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:00 AM Post #77 of 90
What's up!? I asked a similar question almost a week ago with only about 4 responses (thanks again Mercuttio--I can't stress enough, especially given only 4 responses)...and this guy gets 4 pages!?

The answer is at the bottom in bold.

Perhaps it was starting off with the longest post ever. Or not saying "Grado"
eek.gif

Anyway, to the original poster, and those interested, I've tried out over 20 pairs of headphones in the past week. If they did not have bass, I stopped listening.

These included many of those recommended: DT-770, Sony 750x (small footprint / earprint ones), HD280, AKG K26P, Koss 75.

I don't remember the rest but here's the basic final results (which I was going to post in MY original post but no one read it so why not here, at least for now).

DT-770 did not produce enough bass, period. Needs an amp maybe. There was some bass somewhere, but not deep bass. It was accurate though.

750x did not either. No amp required. More bass than your average.
There were a pair of Sonys that looked like V600s but were $220 at Sam Ash--these would have been my choice but they were Sony (Sony=poor quality, breaks easily) and they were $220. If they had another name and were $220, I would have considered. But they had bass. Still not enough though.

HD280 are awful. I'd pick a pair of Grados or higher end Sennheisers over these. These just are relatively accurate, but really...sound unmusical and awful. They may be decent hi-fi headphones, but not bass at all.

AKG-26P are not good. The earpieces don't go over your ears well (I'd say I have small ears) and the bass is not powerful enough. How could you get good bass out of those small drivers anyway?? The rest of the range didn't compare to...the Koss, really. These sounded muffled.

Koss 75s I had to try because of the recommendations. Did not have enough bass, but the other thread which prompted me to try them suggested comparable performance to Grado. I'd say considering the price, yes. IF you press them really close to your head or wear a rubber band around your head while listening, they sound pretty good. This makes me wonder how the PortaPros sound. (related drivers).

I also tried the Grado 60s and 80s. To the above poster who said they are similar--incorrect. I went on this bass journey 5 or so years ago looking for the same thing and it must have been the 80s I tried when I decided "Grados are awful, I'll never buy a pair". Because I tried the 60s and found they have more bass. I never remember them having bass at all--just enough treble to make my ears tired within seconds. Pretty decent for a hi-fi pair of headphones, and possibly my choice for the first pair of hi-fi. 80s likely needed an amp.

OP, it is true, you are asking a bunch of people whose bias is likely toward hi-fi for a non-hi fi answer. You will find that this is many people's point of reference here. No offense to anyone, btw.

So, expect to hear suggestions of anything Grado or Sennheiser before you ever hear anything Sony or anything else really.
biggrin.gif
And anything over $100.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Oh yeah, the *answer* to the question is:

Sennheiser HD212pro. Period. No questions about it. I'm coming from a pair of Stanton DJ Pro 60s which provided good bass but after listening to a pair of AKG K66s I discovered something: I'm missing everything but the bass.

212s have massive bass--more than all above from a portable cd player, and they also have some treble and seem to sound decent.

Annoying that I *now* discover this, as these were one of the pairs I was thinking to try last time (5 years ago when I chose the Stanton) and I could have just bought them then--but it took until now to try them out because they were in a plastic package I thought would have to be cut to be opened.

Man.

Also the 5ebs but those are $150 at least, and I wouldn't try because they require insertion into the ear (fits one of your criteria OP, technically) and this means problems for me--I'd have to put them in and take them out too often and did not want to have to change sleeves or clean my hands every time.

All this has given me mild tinnitus which is really unfortunate. I haven't had even mild tinnitus since a long long time ago. So I'm reluctant to go forth and purchase the 212pros, if I may lose my hearing.

Feb 13, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #78 of 90
i was wondering where did you listen to them all?

and also what source were you using?

although you did give your impressions on each headphone, i dont think you can judge them straight away can you? i would give some time to each headphone, plus using a good source and everything...

although those impressions could be quite helpful for very first impressions, i dont think you can come to a conclusion dismissing many headphones straight away...

correct me if I'm wrong in any way
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #80 of 90
It all depends on the criteria.

Given this criteria, which for me seemed appropriate (for me and for the content of this thread), it was easy to dismiss.

For my search I said, "any headphones are in, no price limit, but they must have more bass than the last pair of headphones I purchased, which had more than any other pair I tested the last time."
basshead.gif
So, I had a reference point, and it was easy to find ones that did not qualify. Most headphones are not designed to have tons of bass. I tried every pair I could try easily because it was easy, and I didn't want to regret not trying something that might work. (And as above, I'm upset I didn't do this last time).

THEN, if they had more bass, I was also looking for treble and mids. Only one qualified on the bass part, so it's in. And they do have better trebles and mids than my previous, which was really "all I was looking for when I came to head-fi."

I'm not looking for "quality, balanced sound." I am looking for "quality, huge bass and decent everything else."

In the case of finding good head-fi headphones, it is, I think, also easy. I *know* what headphones sound without treble--those are the ones I have now. I need to find ones that have what my current ones are missing.

As you go higher up the spectrum, I'm sure you'd have to spend more time because it takes a while for the mind to be fooled into spending more than $500 on a pair of headphones.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

(All kidding aside, seriously; I'd say the difference between SR60 and its sonic competitors below $70, and everything else most people have heard is a lot. From there on up, it takes more careful study and may or may not be beneficial.)

I know now what decent sound sounds like to me--it's the Grado SR60, likely over Sennheiser anything else because I remember the $150 Sennheisers I tried 4 years ago were extra light on the treble.

I tried the headphones using the local pro equipment shop, Sam Ash and Guitar Center which are all within 20 miles of me. I was a pain in the bum, but hey, I wanted an answer no one else could provide me.

Current head-fi balance: $0.00 :-D

To the OP, if you are still reading, I also tried the DJ 700s--those have bass and lots of it, but at the expense of everything else. That's why I didn't consider them. My ears were tired within minutes of listening just because of the bass and poor sonic qualities otherwise.

Feb 13, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #81 of 90
I forgot to add / fully answer:

Source: trusty old Panasonic portable CD player, shock wave model with XBS turned on. It's silver metal top with a closure that may be described as lobster-like. I think it's got "880" somewhere in the model. (approximately from 2000 I think).

Panasonics are better than Sony for extra bass, I'd say. I don't know of any other portable cd players that compare, but this is a different forum I guess.

I'd say source only matters in how much power it has compared to how much the headphones need. So, quality of bass headphones put out wouldn't be affected by the fact that I don't have a "better" player. Amount may though.

No amp--and yes, no amp is how the OP was going to do it as well, I think.

I know my 770s comment sounds like an error. But I'd like to hear someone who's heard the HD212 and the 770 and tell me the latter provides more bass amped, or not. Who will take me on to this challenge?
evil_smiley.gif

I think that's part of the problem with this bass thing--there's no single solid reference point.

I'm going to be tempted to hear the 770s again until I can fully verify this. I'd rather not wait so if anyone has anything to say, please do!

The problem is what I was using may have affected the sound of the 770s. But I think it's just a case of a bunch of people used to Grado and Sennheiser saying everything else has more bass.

I used the same source for every comparison except one. I used BT's R&R, and an electronic music comp I made a long time ago (included drum and bass, Chemical Brothers' (the only track they made with the fat fat bass)), and Sven Vath / Richie Hawtin: Sound of the Third Season for music.

For the 770s I went into the same store a second time and plugged the headphones into a Pioneer 1000 series DJ CD player and some $900 mixers headphone out.

To which one remarked, to the effect of, "the mixer may not be providing enough power out of the headphone out." True. So there is no way for me to find out. :frowning2: Firsthand at least.

I think looking for bass is much easier than trying to find any of the other frequencies. I'd like to hear dissension.

Feb 13, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #82 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
are you saying the 212's create bass when it is not there?
you had the 212's and the 280's and didnt thnk the 280's bass was stronger?
i owned both at the same time also and my 212's couldn't make my ear lobs vibrate without cranking the volume untill the bass becomes less accurate/not as clear. i've been listening to then new young bloodz album with minimal bass eq and my lobes vibrate! maybe i had dud 212's or i have killer 280's lol. if he wants out of control bass then he's going to have to spend more than 100 beans.

dt770/80's obviously

although i havent heard the a500

The 212 sort of draws out the bass, I'm not sure how to explain it other than that. It doesn't ADD bass, but it emphasizes it in a very "car subwoofer" kind of way.

I know the 280 are your new children, but you may have to see past "the honeymoon" phase of the headphone to really hear everything in there with untainted ears. Before recommending headphones, it's usually good to break out of the "honeymoon" phase. Then you can see them for what they are, and accurately let others know if they are what they're looking for. I've broken this rule before, I know.

I liked the 280 at first too. They were way better than anything else I'd had. But they place no particular emphasis on the bass region. And, bear in mind that I EQ nothing. I know that they reach low, I've heard it. But many other members will back me up... the 280 is a pretty flat lifeless can. Too cold.

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #83 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein
I have no idea wth you guys are talking about the Sony V6 being "a basshead" product, and has "built in mega bass"....What.

I wouldn't say the V6 has extremely boosted bass, but it does deliver an unusual amount of bass impact which may give the impression that it's producing more bass than it really is.

Feb 14, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #84 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
The 212 sort of draws out the bass, I'm not sure how to explain it other than that. It doesn't ADD bass, but it emphasizes it in a very "car subwoofer" kind of way.

I know the 280 are your new children, but you may have to see past "the honeymoon" phase of the headphone to really hear everything in there with untainted ears. Before recommending headphones, it's usually good to break out of the "honeymoon" phase. Then you can see them for what they are, and accurately let others know if they are what they're looking for. I've broken this rule before, I know.

I liked the 280 at first too. They were way better than anything else I'd had. But they place no particular emphasis on the bass region. And, bear in mind that I EQ nothing. I know that they reach low, I've heard it. But many other members will back me up... the 280 is a pretty flat lifeless can. Too cold.

A test tone can let you hear the rather zany bass rolloff of the HD280. Starting at about 80Hz, there's a slope you could ski off of. Extension is pretty good, down to nearly 40hz, but you're not going to get much "useful" bass past 55 or so and even that's pretty quiet.

Of course, this doesn't detract much from the headphone because frankly it's not what the HD280pro is trying to do. It's attempting to be relatively flat and accurate from 80 on up to around 14000, and it accomplishes that within +/-5db as I recall.

Feb 19, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #85 of 90
well ive been looking at the hd212pro and i really like the way that looks. which would be better the hd212pro or the hd280? for like subwoofer bass.

maybe i should of said that i had a 50 dollar limit so you guys coulda suggested things that were 100 dollars hmmm yea that probably woulda worked.

Feb 19, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #86 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewCents05
well ive been looking at the hd212pro and i really like the way that looks. which would be better the hd212pro or the hd280? for like subwoofer bass.

Feb 19, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #87 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewCents05

maybe i should of said that i had a 50 dollar limit so you guys coulda suggested things that were 100 dollars hmmm yea that probably woulda worked.

212. The 280 will let you down basswise.

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #90 of 90
they have decent bass. not really the extremly powerful bass i was looking for but it has pretty good bass and will do for now. thanks guys for the ones who helped. great headphones i think theyre the best ones i could have found the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back