Need Opinions - thinking of PX200 to Replace V6
May 5, 2003 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Pov

Head-Fier
Hi, I'm a long time lurker looking for some advice. I commute by train every day and need a pair of headphones that provide good isolation (to keep out the train noises and such). I have a pair of Sony V6s that are about 10 years old. I like the way they sound, and the isolation is about right, but they are kind of heavy to lug around all the time. I also find them to be somewhat bulky even when folded up. So now that the pads are starting to wear out, I'm thinking about replacing them with a pair of PX200s. Since I can't find the PX200s on display anywhere, I'm going to have to buy them on faith on the 'net.

Anyway, I wanted to know from those of you who've tried both headphones (i) how the sound compares, (ii) whether the PX200s provide the same level of isolation, and (iii) whether the PX200s are significantly lighter. Also, is there anything else you would recommend in terms of lightweight, portable cans with good isolation?

Thanks, and I'd like to say this is a great site, but also very dangerous.
biggrin.gif
Based on reading this board I've already bought a pair of MX500s and Portapros. Both have their uses, but unfortunately they just let in too much noise for me. So now I'm looking to buy a THIRD pair.

May 5, 2003 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 36
Yes the PX200's are much lighter and they provide a decent amount of isolation, though because of the size this really depends on the size of your ears. There were perfect for my smallish ears. And the build quality of the Senn are top notch. The PX200's are liked by a lot of people here and they were my first Head-Fi influenced purchase. That said, I returned them. Placement is a big deal with the 200's and surprisingly the more I had them the more I had trouble with placement. It was often difficult for me to get the soundstage I thought I heard previously for example. They were decently articulate for the price point, but I could never get the overall sound right. As people say there's very few sub $100 good closed cans. The V6's were the first phones I ever loved on first listen, so I wonder how you would feel about Senns sound. Although they leak some and wouldn't provide your desired isolation, have you considered the Koss ksc-35's? I'd place them closer to the V6s in overall quality. Also maybe consider the smaller Eggos. Never heard them though. Also maybe the Shures/Etys for an in-ear solution.

May 5, 2003 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Yes the PX200's are much lighter and they provide a decent amount of isolation, though because of the size this really depends on the size of your ears. There were perfect for my smallish ears. And the build quality of the Senn are top notch. The PX200's are liked by a lot of people here and they were my first Head-Fi influenced purchase. That said, I returned them. Placement is a big deal with the 200's and surprisingly the more I had them the more I had trouble with placement. It was often difficult for me to get the soundstage I thought I heard previously for example. They were decently articulate for the price point, but I could never get the overall sound right. As people say there's very few sub $100 good closed cans. The V6's were the first phones I ever loved on first listen, so I wonder how you would feel about Senns sound. Although they leak some and wouldn't provide your desired isolation, have you considered the Koss ksc-35's? I'd place them closer to the V6s in overall quality. Also maybe consider the smaller Eggos. Never heard them though. Also maybe the Shures/Etys for an in-ear solution.

Sounds like a serious case of needing eggos. Do you concur, doctors?

May 5, 2003 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Pov
Hi, I'm a long time lurker looking for some advice. I commute by train every day and need a pair of headphones that provide good isolation (to keep out the train noises and such). I have a pair of Sony V6s that are about 10 years old. I like the way they sound, and the isolation is about right, but they are kind of heavy to lug around all the time. I also find them to be somewhat bulky even when folded up. So now that the pads are starting to wear out, I'm thinking about replacing them with a pair of PX200s. Since I can't find the PX200s on display anywhere, I'm going to have to buy them on faith on the 'net.

Anyway, I wanted to know from those of you who've tried both headphones (i) how the sound compares, (ii) whether the PX200s provide the same level of isolation, and (iii) whether the PX200s are significantly lighter. Also, is there anything else you would recommend in terms of lightweight, portable cans with good isolation?

May 5, 2003 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti

If he likes the sound of V6 I'm not so sure D66 would suit him, since they are rather far apart when it comes to bass response/impact. And as far as I've heard the V6 isolate a bit better than D66, which might be another letdown for him since he wanted good isolation.

May 5, 2003 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
If he likes the sound of V6 I'm not so sure D66 would suit him, since they are rather far apart when it comes to bass response/impact. And as far as I've heard the V6 isolate a bit better than D66, which might be another letdown for him since he wanted good isolation.

Well, there's always 'bass boost', and there's always the cotton treatment for the chambers.

May 5, 2003 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC

Thanks. Yes, isolation is important to me. With my MX-500's and Portapros I have to turn the volume up to uncomfortable levels in order to hear everything over the ambient noise (train, other people's conversations, etc.) I like deep, clean, tight bass. It has to be there but it doesn't have to pound my brain into a pulp.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I don't know if this matters but I my source is a Creative Nomad Zen.

May 5, 2003 at 2:41 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
Well, there's always 'bass boost', and there's always the cotton treatment for the chambers.

Well unfortunately bass boost tend to degrade the sound and I heard the cotton treatment does the same. Besides he might not be comfy picking his new headphones apart, I know I'd rather not.

May 5, 2003 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC

Well, there's always 'bass boost', and there's always the cotton treatment for the chambers. After all, the eggos were designed specifically for this sort of use.

May 5, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
Well unfortunately bass boost tend to degrade the sound and I heard the cotton treatment does the same. Besides he might not be comfy picking his new headphones apart, I know I'd rather not.

The cotton treatment improves the sound, fer sure.

May 5, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 36
PX200s to me have WAAAAAAAAY too much midbass, which seriously mucks up the sound...

Eggos, if driven with equipment thats got balls aren't too bad, but that limits you to old school equipment...
frown.gif

Without going to the $100 + range of ETYs, I can recommend the seemingly controversial EX71s... a similar sound to the V6 (in terms of bass kick, and a brighter than average treble... but they have a midrange that is missing on the V6...

Isolation is debatable... I think they're quite good, but depending on your ear size / shape... YMMV
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2003 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
then he should look at etymotic's offerings.

Well, I did but I really don't want to spend $130 on the 6s. Besides, I looked at Ety's web site and I definitely don't want something that I have to "moisten" before putting into my ears! I used to hate Wet Willies
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back