Need opinions on two headphones
Nov 17, 2008 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sqcomp

New Head-Fier
Here's my situation:

As a beginner headphone user, I am finally ready to step into a first set of good headphones. After spending about a month crawling around the site I believe I've come to a fork in the road regarding my decision of which cans to buy.

First, I'm going to be using a computer initially as a source. I do have an old two channel stereo reciever that I can use but for now I'm going to stick with my computer.

Second, I'm going to be using a closed headphone for noise reduction needs.

Third, I'll be initially spending between $100 and $200.

Here are my thoughts on choices...I am looking at the M-Audio Q40 on the low price end and the Audio Technica A900 on the high priced end. I'm having trouble with the M-audio choice due to the threaded cable connection issues that I've been reading about. This "scares" me. On the other hand, I've read that the sound is very good for the price.

Now the AT A900, I'm reading nothing but good things, especially for my situation.

So, my crossroad decision, do I buy the Q40s and try to find someone to re-cable the phones or do I spend a $100 more and get something that may or may not sound better but have no worries.

My future plans are to buy a small tube amplifier like the "Starving Student" amplifier to see what that does for the headphones.

What advice or thoughts could you offer given my situation?

Thanks to everyone!

What would your advice be?

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 4
Oooh! Interesting! I'm looking at the reviews on the M50s right now. Perhaps I can buy these and maybe step up in a little while. Hmmm...

Thanks for this suggestion!

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 4
JVC HA-RX900s, you can mail order them for around $72, give them a 100 hour burn in, if you then like them great, you've saved money.
(I ordered the JVC HA-RX900s last night for myself, still on backorder)
If you don't like the JVCs, sell them off, should get most of you money back.
Denon AHD-1001Ks have come down in price lately ($80)

On your computer are you using the built in sound chip on the motherboard?
My guess is you would need to spend $100-$150 on an add on sound card to get the best out of any headphone used a computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back