Need Opinions on Next AT Cans
Apr 5, 2006 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

skylinedo

100+ Head-Fier
Specifically looking at the ATH-W1000 so far. I've heard that these cans are excellent for mids and highs. But lacking in bass. See, I've been spoiled by my MDR-V6's bass and detailed highs (i'm hard of hearing so the highs don't bother me).

I use the V6's whenever I game and listen to bassy songs. But b/c I'm also an O/C'er and running two Vantec Tornado's at full throttle (52dbA : each). I really do need a closed headphone. Bass is important, but shouldn't be over emphasized.

I also have the ATH-EW9 which are excellent when I want to relax listening to piano/acoustics/female vocals. But, the Bass isn't really there.

Since I'll be spending up to $500, I want to be able to listen to have something closed that'll satisfy all my tasks.

I've tested the Sennheiser HD600's but the carbon fiber cheap-feeling headband are a turn off for something worth over $300. The HD600's are also an open can so I found myself pressing my hands up against each corresponding ear to prevent leakage. Heard good things about the HD595

Maybe you guys can recommend something by Beyerdyamic or AKG? I have no experience with those brands. BTW NO GRAD
mad.gif
S PLZ , those feel and look cheap. For the record, I've tested the RS-2's, SR60, SR80, and 225's using grado's amp. And they all felt the same, sounded good though. Hated how they leaked, too.

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 31
50 views and nobody knows? anybody else know of a place to test out AKG's or Beyers then?

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by skylinedo
anybody else know of a place to test out AKG's or Beyers then?

What, no audio shop on Gilligan's Island?
rolleyes.gif
If you share with us where you're located, then perhaps you may get a better response. Otherwise, you're looking at buying them online from a store that offers a good return policy (Headroom, TTVJ).

W1000 lacking bass? I don't think so... unless you're a bass head. If you want more bass from an AT can, you're probably gonna have to take a look at the AD2000.

Have you considered the SA5000? I have no experience with them but I think they may offer up sound that you may find appealing.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
What, no audio shop on Gilligan's Island?
rolleyes.gif
If you share with us where you're located, then perhaps you may get a better response. Otherwise, you're looking at buying them online from a store that offers a good return policy (Headroom, TTVJ).

W1000 lacking bass? I don't think so... unless you're a bass head. If you want more bass from an AT can, you're probably gonna have to take a look at the AD2000.

Have you considered the SA5000? I have no experience with them but I think they may offer up sound that you may find appealing.

Finally a response!!1!one. I'm in the bay area, California. The mod made me change my location and avatar b/c it insulted the leader of a major religion and one of a nation.

ATH-W1000's have bass, good. I've read reviews where they stated the bass was very weak.

I've done some more research and it seems the A900's may be what I'm looking for. However, they're not w
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
dies. Then again, they're only $200'ish.

Those of you w/ the A900-LTD's, give me your input thanks
biggrin.gif

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I never thought the W1000 had bass. I'd look to the L3k, W10VTG or W11JPN if you want bass from a woody.

Best,

-Jason

Aw, those last 2 I was afraid of b/c they're so rare and hard to find. At least in the US. Do you know of any site that might have them? And the L3000 is out of my price range by alot D:

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by skylinedo
Specifically looking at the ATH-W1000 so far. I've heard that these cans are excellent for mids and highs. But lacking in bass. See, I've been spoiled by my MDR-V6's bass and detailed highs (i'm hard of hearing so the highs don't bother me).

I use the V6's whenever I game and listen to bassy songs. But b/c I'm also an O/C'er and running two Vantec Tornado's at full throttle (52dbA : each). I really do need a closed headphone. Bass is important, but shouldn't be over emphasized.

I also have the ATH-EW9 which are excellent when I want to relax listening to piano/acoustics/female vocals. But, the Bass isn't really there.

Since I'll be spending up to $500, I want to be able to listen to have something closed that'll satisfy all my tasks.

I've tested the Sennheiser HD600's but the carbon fiber cheap-feeling headband are a turn off for something worth over $300. The HD600's are also an open can so I found myself pressing my hands up against each corresponding ear to prevent leakage. Heard good things about the HD595

Maybe you guys can recommend something by Beyerdyamic or AKG? I have no experience with those brands. BTW NO GRAD
mad.gif
S PLZ , those feel and look cheap. For the record, I've tested the RS-2's, SR60, SR80, and 225's using grado's amp. And they all felt the same, sounded good though. Hated how they leaked, too.

W1000 is good can. While there are some members preferred A900LTD over W1000.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightyEight
If you're up for real OCing go watercooling. If not, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118115

Watercooling, I was supposed to get a CoolerMaster Aquagate Mini from my friend, but he was a moron and used Ceramique on his Athlon 64 and waterblock. So he was afraid to take it off. Now he's back in PI
mad.gif

As for the Zalman, I have an ATi X850PRO clocked to XT core/mem w/ AS5 using a Zalman VF700CU
smily_headphones1.gif
. I have one tornado blowing out on top of the case and on blowing air in on the side over the CPU/X850.

Jesus christ these are expensive hobbies

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
W1000 is good can. While there are some members preferred A900LTD over W1000.

Doing research on it right now, thanks a bunch
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 31
Apr 6, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightyEight
Check this out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811998121

Air Flow: 77.26 cfm
Noise Level: 35.48 dBA
RPM: 2000 rpm
(That's IF you're using 120mm)

OR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811999344
Air Flow: Max 110.03CFM
Noise Level: 17dBA at 800rpm, 39.5dBA at 2400rpm
RPM: 800 ~ 2400rpm

Remember: More exhaust than intake = more cooling

(What thermal grease are you using by the way?)

My case is an Aspire XdreamerII, so 80mm versions of the said led fans came iwith it. I've replaced them w/ Tornados. Two Coolermaster 80mm fans are at the front of the case route air in over my hard drive into the rest of the case. Another CM UVSensitive 120mm fan blows air out.

I've heard good things about silverstone but I don't need my comp any louder than it already is. I'm hard of hearing and I have a fan controller b/c the tornados were driving me crazy.

If i were ever to upgrade, I would go phase change
icon10.gif
with my next comp. The gains from a 478 Northwood hardly seem worth it. Besides running my 3.0 processor at 3.5 gigs on air (40idle/50load) isn't too shabby.

Also remember that O/Cing isn't my only hobby, I'm building my audiophile set up as time move on. My '98 Integra is knocking, and my VW Rabbit Diesel needs putting together D:. All this and I don't have a job.

By the way, I use AS5 for both my GPU/CPU

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 31
Look into reviews of the Beyer DT770s. It's got the bass, thats for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
Look into reviews of the Beyer DT770s. It's got the bass, thats for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks, I will

EDIT:
Wow found a comparison between the W1000 and the DT770s. this really helps!

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #13 of 31
I used to own the W1000 and currently own the AD2000. In terms of mids and highs, I think the W1000 had a more relaxed, less upfront presentation. It also has a slight but nonetheless pleasing rolloff in high frequencies which I notice on some particularly treble-heavy Japanese tracks I listen to. The AD2000 stop just short of harsh but the W1000 are less fatiguing. Conversely, the AD2000 has noticeably greater detail than the W1000 all across the spectrum, and Japanese vocals in particular sound better with its brighter and more lively presentation.

In terms of bass, I actually think the W1000's bass was stronger. The AD2000 has plenty of bass for me, and it reaches deeper with greater detail than the W1000 was capable of, but with less impact. Also, the strangest thing to my ears is that the W1000, though closed, somehow has a shorter decay on notes (particularly as frequencies decrease) than the AD2000, though both are never so short as to be unnatural (e.g. Etymotic canalphones).

I really recommend the W1000 and feel they are a bit underrated here. The ultimate reason I sold them was because I wanted to try the AD2000 and the W1000 became uncomfortably warm when worn for long periods of time since they're closed.

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

I really recommend the W1000 and feel they are a bit underrated here. The ultimate reason I sold them was because I wanted to try the AD2000 and the W1000 became uncomfortably warm when worn for long periods of time since they're closed.

As far as I know that it's not under-rated against any phone in it's price range accept with A900LTD's.
smily_headphones1.gif
And I knew that some of the forums respected members with their high end setups, rated them at higher catagory line with HD650 and K701. While they rate W5000 and W2002 at above that level.

Also 6moon is using W1000 with HD650 for their reviews on any headphones related stuffs. No doubt that these phones are good in sound.

It's just under-rated by some of the A900LTD owners. because they owned both to justify the sound between them. And ofcource they have high end similar setups as the people who rated W1000's top of the line. And unfortunately these people are not having A900LTD's.

By reading all members rating closely and according to their setups, I asked many of them about their preferred phones. I got what I expect with them.

One member using "millett hybrid" amp is rated W1000 lower then A900
eek.gif
But I bet that he is right in his openion. All of these amps are designed and syncronised for high impedance phones. And they don't benifit low impedance phones too much. So, you can't judge low impedance phones with these amps. While you cant justify them properly with direct source outs. The proof is that whole respected owners of these amp. rated AT's cans lower then they deserve. Obviously they dont get better sound from AT cans by using their setup.
icon10.gif

While those people using "Lavry DA10" and it's integrated low power amp. and Audio Technica's amp "HA5000" made and designed for low impedance production line W5000. rated AT cans top of the line. And Obviously they are getting better sound with their setup sync. for low impedance phones.

Regarding AT's amp. it's proved everywhere that this amp is improving much better all of AT's low impedance cans. Even I red that a person reviewed A700 with W5000 and AD2000 and he saluted A700 by saying that A700 closed the gap between these high end cans.

NOTE: These all are according to my reading experience and judgment. Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere. But with proof. PLEASE .
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back