Need opinions on new phones, help a newbie!
Aug 28, 2008 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ben.

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm new to posting on these boards despite reading them for months.

I have just had my modded Sony EX90's and my D2 stolen while on holiday. So assuming the insurance do as they should and cough up, I'm going to get a nicer D2 with DAB and some new earphones.

As with many people, what I'm looking for is something with punchy, uncluttered bass that goes nice and deep into sub-bass. I listen to a lot of ambient/chill and progressive music which has very immersive textures. It most definitely benefits from very good sub-bass reproduction. Think BT's '1.618', and you'll know what I need.

I don't have a strict budget, but ~£100 is a marker. What I am torn between is keeping to just-in-ear canal phones like the EX90, which don't go deep or 'proper' IEM's. For the most part I don't need extreme isolation, as I use them more at work than when travelling. And I don't want to have phones that need to go near my brains just to get reasonable bass. I need to be able to put them in/out within a matter of seconds, not minutes.

Currently I'm thinking about ATH-CK7, Denon C700, or some MylarOnes. If the Klipsch Image's are really that good for bass I might bite the bullet and get some, but it's a bit over budget for something I may feel uncomfortable using.

The reason I'm not getting some more EX90's is, despite the mod, the bass is cluttered. It can't reproduce several low-freq instruments at once without giving up. It's great for a solo kick drum, or a solo bass guitar line, but combine the two and it fails, fails big. Also, the mod closes the soundstage up something awful for me.

Any help is welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back