Need opinions on iFrogz ThrowBax
Mar 23, 2009 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Sofa King Kool

New Head-Fier
Hey all, new here. I'm fairly certain this was the best section to post this, if not, I apologize.

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser EH-150 Evolution Hi-Fi Stereo Headphones. I love the sound, but the phones themselves are very uncomfortable after extended use. Plus, I have glasses, which makes it even worse. I thought it was time for a new pair. I had wanted to stick with Sennheiser, but the higher models seem to be more for amp use and audio editing, not for an iPod. So I thought I'd look elsewhere.

I stumbled upon the iFrogz ThrowBax (Ifrogz - Product Details). They look like decent headphones, however, I'm afraid there will be a noticeable drop in quality having just come from a pair of Sennheisers. With the Sennheisers, I notice small details in the music that I had never heard before, and now that I've experienced that, I don't want to lose it. I'm afraid they'll be too similar to Skullcandy: All style and no substance. I, personally, think they look cool, but I don't want to trade quality for style.

Here are some specs for your consideration in comparing the ThorBax to my current pair of Sennheisers. I'm no audiophile, so I have no idea what any of this means:

* Driver Unit: 44mm
* Impedance: 32 ohms
* Sensitivity: 108dB+/-3dB
* Frequency Response: 5Hz to 20 KHz
* Cord Length: 1.2M
* Plug: 3.5 mm

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 40
I've heard they're shoddy, with low build quality.
for comfortable, cheap phones, get the rx700. if you want super-duper comfortable, buy some rx900 pads for it.

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 40
They look like those Panasonics at Target. I can't remember their model number.

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King Kool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you referring to these? Amazon.com: JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone: Electronics

Yes.

Also, a lot of people don't care about whether the quality is amazing until they hear what "amazing" (or in this case, decent) sounds like. For the price, my understanding is that the RX700 can't be beat. You would not regret that purchase.

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 40
My biggest problem with the RX700s is that, from my experience, headphones with those types of adjustable cups are very flimsy, breaking easily after normal use.

(On a pettier note, they're ugly as hell).

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 40
I really doubt that the throwbax will have comparable sq to the senns. I do recommend looking at other headphones outside these two. There is an incredible amount of knowledge on here and its a great idea to try and tap into it. Of course, there is also something to be said for just buying something and getting out early, ask anyone here.
smily_headphones1.gif
As far as suggestions, I have heard nothing but good things so far about the RX700s, although I haven't used them myself, and don't know where they sit as far as comfort goes. What kinds of music do you listen to, and do you need your cans to isolate?

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nausicaa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You seem to have your mind fixed. Buy them! We can't convince you otherwise. What matters is if you enjoy them or not.

Hrm. That's exactly how I was trying not to sound.

Trust me, I don't want to buy anything that sounds worse than my current set (which sound great). This site has been recommended to me quite a few times as THE place for info on headphones and such. So if you guys haven't really heard anything about the iFrogz, it's probably because they suck. I guess the fact that they're called "iFrogz" and "EarPollution" should've tipped me off anyway.

I've been looking at some AKG's. I've heard they sound great, and I love how they look, but they're really expensive...

*Edit*

I like some nu-metal, I'd probably say that's my main genre, but I like a lot of other things too. I have a lot of orchestra, a lot of game music, some ska, a bit of industrial, even a little bit of techno/cyber-metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back