need opinions on home setup with small footprint
Aug 28, 2016 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

d8n0g

100+ Head-Fier
I need some opinions on a source:

X+schiit dac+schiit amp+cans+self powered edifier speakers

obviously the "x" is whats driving me crazy.

I was going to do a laptop setup but I'm having second thoughts (the laptop would be just for music).  Then I was thinking a tablet, but I don't even know how that's possible with a dac and speakers needed to be jacked in.

So, my question is this...considering I want a small setup what would be a good source?  I don't have a cd collection, all my music is digital.  I could always throw my music on an sd card and pop it into a cd player that has a slot.  this is not going to be a work station, it is an easy chair zone out station only for muzac.  I am a modest music listener and have no desire to spend 1000$ on a source. So I don't split my head open beating it on the wall, please give me some advice...

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 5
There are plenty of fairly cheap Windows based tablets out there that will work quite happily with the Schiit stack. As they tend to have limited memory and low powered processors you probably won't be able to use many filters or DSP but for basic playback through something like Foobar or for streaming they're fine. Most have the facility for a SD card or even USB drive.

Alternative, if you don't mind doing a bit of work you could set up something like a Raspberry Pi as an audio device, you can even make it headless and control it from your mobile phone over your home network.

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 5
  There are plenty of fairly cheap Windows based tablets out there that will work quite happily with the Schiit stack. As they tend to have limited memory and low powered processors you probably won't be able to use many filters or DSP but for basic playback through something like Foobar or for streaming they're fine. Most have the facility for a SD card or even USB drive.

Alternative, if you don't mind doing a bit of work you could set up something like a Raspberry Pi as an audio device, you can even make it headless and control it from your mobile phone over your home network.

hmm thats interesting about the rasberry pi.

I'm considering doing a laptop with a wireless remote and using my tv as a screen

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 5
For when I'm relaxing in the basement I use a Dell Venue 11 Pro Tablet with Windows 10 connected to a FiiO E17k. The tablet has a full size USB port, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD, an SD Card slot, and an Intel I5 processor so it has plenty of power to play whatever you want to your DAC/Amp setup. There is even an optional physical keyboard dock with a battery in it, doubling the battery life. You can pick one up used/refurbished on eBay for under $200-$250 USD.

Here is one with Win 8 for $225: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172309569958

Here is a link to a refurbed keyboard with the battery: http://www.ebay.com/itm/D1R74-Dell-Tablet-Keyboard-Mobile-for-Venue-11-Pro-5J36C-Battery-Dock/171724897271

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 5

I need some opinions on a source:
---
So, my question is this...considering I want a small setup what would be a good source?  I don't have a cd collection, all my music is digital.  I could always throw my music on an sd card and pop it into a cd player that has a slot.  this is not going to be a work station, it is an easy chair zone out station only for muzac.  I am a modest music listener and have no desire to spend 1000$ on a source. So I don't split my head open beating it on the wall, please give me some advice...

Sizes of the mainstream devices and the headphones should give you an idea how large the DAC-HPamp is.

iPad2, Meier Cantate.2, HD600

Samsung Galaxy S3, Meier Cantate.2, HD600

Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Pangea HP101, HD600

X+schiit dac+schiit amp+cans+self powered edifier speakers

obviously the "x" is whats driving me crazy.

I was going to do a laptop setup but I'm having second thoughts (the laptop would be just for music).  Then I was thinking a tablet, but I don't even know how that's possible with a dac and speakers needed to be jacked in.

Tablet/Smartphone>USB Adapter*>USBcable> Schiit DAC** >RCA/XLR cables> Schiit amplifier >Headphone output (front>Headphone cable (TRS single ended or XLR balanced, whichever applies)> Headphone
                                                                                                                                  > Preamplifier output(rear)** >RCA or XLR(whichever applies)> Powered speakers

*Apple - 30pin Camera Connection Kit with Female USB-A, Lightning Camera Connector (Lightning to female USB-A); Android - OTG adapter (microUSB to female USB-A)
**Check for compatibility; AFAIK Modi and Modi2 (non-Uber) have more incompatibility issues; no information yet on tablets/smartphones working with Jotunheim
***Magni2 Uber, Vali2, Asgard2, Valhalla2, Lyr2, Mjolnir2, Jotunheim, Ragnarok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back