Need opinions on deciding DAPs
Nov 1, 2014 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rozenberg

Headphoneus Supremus
Good afternoon gentlemen.
I actually did not want to make a new thread, but I gradually became more confused as I think about this over and over again, and also because of my current circumstances.

Basically, I am in a need for new DAP after my iPod 4G cracked (although I have a Clip+ but looking something better).
Two head fi members have recommended me FiiO X3 and X1, and I've gotten the green light to go with either.
Now problems are : availability and price.

I could go up until 170€ or a bit more and have already read much about them, but first let me list what limits my purchase :

X3 - It is freaking 200€ here in Germany! It's in stock, but price difference is ridiculous. I could import it from USA + shipping + tax and still get it cheaper than that. But there is a risk of it getting lost/broken/charged with more tax/etc, so I am still reconsidering this option. 

X1 - Is not in stock. a good price of 90€ but need to wait at least a week to be restocked (hopefully). 

DX50 - Definitely out of budget, but let's see if I could get this used one on bid in 3 days.

Additional information : Headphone is KRK KNS 8400. Still liking it, not looking to upgrade this for a while.

In short, what's the best way to spend budget with priority on sound?

- an X3 alone? (around two weeks wait or longer)
- an X1 + E11K + SD card? (around a week wait for the X1)
- an X1 + SD card?

I know this has been asked many times, but is there any difference on SQ between these two?
I am actually more toward the X3 since I heard the built-in amp is real good, but I need to reconsider because of the time it will take (and safety).

Thanks in advance.

Also,
I'm a complete noob in DAP. This is the first time I consider buying one because of sound quality.

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 6
Have you though about installing the Rockbox firmware on the Clip+?
http://www.rockbox.org/

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 6
  Have you though about installing the Rockbox firmware on the Clip+?
http://www.rockbox.org/

done that already once I got it, but I might just simply want an upgrade.
sure the Clip+ sounds better than my iPod, but I don't know why, I need to set it in a rather higher volume than usual to get my KNS 8400 sounds right. (although impedance isn't high)

well, regardless since my iPod died on me, I got an excuse to upgrade for something in same price range. Miss my album art that was displayed on iPod 
tongue.gif

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 6
Since you have a Clip+, I'd wait and save for the X3 because it has a good bit more powerful headphone amp. Well, if you ever think you might get more headphones. Gives you more range of headphones it could power. :)

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 6
  done that already once I got it, but I might just simply want an upgrade.
sure the Clip+ sounds better than my iPod, but I don't know why, I need to set it in a rather higher volume than usual to get my KNS 8400 sounds right. (although impedance isn't high)
well, regardless since my iPod died on me, I got an excuse to upgrade for something in same price range. Miss my album art that was displayed on iPod 
tongue.gif

I would say to wait for the X1 to restock.
I really doubt with 32-Ohm headphones like the KNS8400 you have to get a separate headphone amplifier.

The Sony E series are nice, I try to buy them used, they are slim, light weight and have a nice size screen
They do not play FLAC and  the E series can not use SD cards, so 16GBs of memory is the max they have.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Since you have a Clip+, I'd wait and save for the X3 because it has a good bit more powerful headphone amp. Well, if you ever think you might get more headphones. Gives you more range of headphones it could power.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll get more headphones, maybe a HD600 for home use in the future since I already tried my friend's 598 and love the sound 
biggrin.gif

But yeah, still leaning toward the X3. I could buy it tomorrow actually.

I would say to wait for the X1 to restock.
I really doubt with 32-Ohm headphones like the KNS8400 you have to get a separate headphone amplifier.

The Sony E series are nice, I try to buy them used, they are slim, light weight and have a nice size screen
They do not play FLAC and  the E series can not use SD cards, so 16GBs of memory is the max they have.

X1 is a really good deal tbh, but I prefer the ease of usage in X3.
I am not really fond of rotating wheels, it'd be easier to just push a button.

Well, after spending hours reading the comparison over again, I'm even more toward the X3.
It could be used for a USB DAC! Well, this is really a plus actually.
And seems like the majority calls a win on SQ for X3. I even searched for the chip, and seeing Wolfson on it, aaww yeaah.

Anyway, thanks for the thought people
biggrin.gif

I guess now I can pull the trigger on the more expensive X3 and not needing to upgrade it for 3-4 years! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back