Need open back suggestions
Nov 28, 2016 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

xela3

100+ Head-Fier
I currently use the Audeze El 8 open back with the magni 2 but these give me a headache after 1-2 hours (due to clamp I think) so I was looking for other choices. So far Ive somewhat narrowed it down to the HD650/600, hifi 400s, fidelio x2, dt 990, or shure 1840. Im open to other suggestions around this price range that would be good for fps and rpg games and edm music.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 12
I havn't heard the Shures, but compared to to the EL 8, the headphone that comes closest in sound tonality should be the HD650.
The only disadvantage of the HD650 is the plastic headband which cannot be stretched out if you find it the clamp force too strong.

The DT990 on the other hand has a metal headband, which makes it very easy to stretch it to your ideal clamping force.
I would consider the DT990 Premium 600 ohm variant, the '250 Pro' is quite treble peaky. 

HE-400s and X2 are the heaviest of the bunch, but 80g and 60g lighter than the EL 8 respectively.
With comfort being an issue, you might take this into account, but they both also have metal headbands that may also be somewhat stretchable to adjust clamping force.
I don't know how far they can be stretched if at all, since they have a suspension-headband which stops you from stretching it out very far. 

They're all good choices. (can't speak for the 1840 though).

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 12
I think you would be happy with any of those choices except for the Shure 1840's. Those aren't going to be very nice for EDM music.

I think the headphones that most fit your criteria are the DT990's. They are light and not clampy at all. They will be stellar with EDM, and have a nice soundstage for gaming. Go for the Premium version, as they'll have less clamp. The Magni 2 should be able to power the 250 Ohm or 600 Ohm version.

The HD650's would be a good choice as well. They have plenty of bass, and are very euphoric to listen to. Maybe not quite as good for gaming. And the treble is a bit rolled off for your music preferences. Some people like their relaxed sound though. Perhaps a bit more clamp than the DT990's but it has never been an issue for me. The earcups are large and fit all the way around the ears. The Magni 2 will work well with these as well.

The HiFi 400's are gonna be heavy like your Audezes. Maybe not as clampy. But I really don't like most Orthos because of comfort alone.

I've never tried the Fidelio, but since you already have an amp, you might as well take advantage of it in my opinion! The Fidelio doesn't benefit much from an amp based on its sensitivity/efficiency specs.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 12
  I think you would be happy with any of those choices except for the Shure 1840's. Those aren't going to be very nice for EDM music.

I think the headphones that most fit your criteria are the DT990's. They are light and not clampy at all. They will be stellar with EDM, and have a nice soundstage for gaming. Go for the Premium version, as they'll have less clamp. The Magni 2 should be able to power the 250 Ohm or 600 Ohm version.

The HD650's would be a good choice as well. They have plenty of bass, and are very euphoric to listen to. Maybe not quite as good for gaming. And the treble is a bit rolled off for your music preferences. Some people like their relaxed sound though. Perhaps a bit more clamp than the DT990's but it has never been an issue for me. The earcups are large and fit all the way around the ears. The Magni 2 will work well with these as well.

The HiFi 400's are gonna be heavy like your Audezes. Maybe not as clampy. But I really don't like most Orthos because of comfort alone.

I've never tried the Fidelio, but since you already have an amp, you might as well take advantage of it in my opinion! The Fidelio doesn't benefit much from an amp based on its sensitivity/efficiency specs.

Thanks for the info, after looking more into them I decided on the akg k712 pro since i read on mad lust envys thread theyre pretty much a better dt 990 and i plan on doing more gaming the music with them.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 12
  Thanks for the info, after looking more into them I decided on the akg k712 pro since i read on mad lust envys thread theyre pretty much a better dt 990 and i plan on doing more gaming the music with them.

Yeah I've heard the K712's are good, and possibly comparable to the DT990's. I do find the comfort of the new AKG K7xx bumpless line even better than the Beyerdynamic DT line. But not by much. I haven't heard them in person. I personally use the AKG K701's for gaming and certain music, and then switch to my HD650's for other music.

I think you'll most likely be very pleased with that choice. MadLustEnvy's guide is a great source of information.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 12
  Yeah I've heard the K712's are good, and possibly comparable to the DT990's. I do find the comfort of the new AKG K7xx bumpless line even better than the Beyerdynamic DT line. But not by much. I haven't heard them in person. I personally use the AKG K701's for gaming and certain music, and then switch to my HD650's for other music.

I think you'll most likely be very pleased with that choice. MadLustEnvy's guide is a great source of information.

Ya I play a lot of CSGO, cod, and bf1 so after reading the hd 650 didnt have that great of a soundstage I figured I should look elsewhere.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 12
  The HD650 has a pretty good soundstage. It's not quite as expansive and detailed as the AKG K7xx but I find the HD650 to be very enjoyable in games. Just not as competitive.

From what the mle forum said the k712 were better for sound whoring, etc while not giving up an immersive experience either. Although on amazon used k712 and hd 650 are the same price.

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 12
I would think that the HD650 is more enjoyable for EDM than the any of these AKGs.

Remember that these are both only stereo headsets, and will provide an almost identical representation of positional-sound cues in FPS games regardless of 'soundstage'. (I've been playing the FPS genre for over 20 years).
The only thing the AKG can better offer in an FPS game are slightly more pronounced/axaggerated details of distant sounds which may or may not give you a slight advantage on incoming enemies. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 12
I would think that the HD650 is more enjoyable for EDM than the any of these AKGs.

Remember that these are both only stereo headsets, and will provide an almost identical representation of positional-sound cues in FPS games regardless of 'soundstage'. (I've been playing the FPS genre for over 20 years).
The only thing the AKG can better offer in an FPS game are slightly more pronounced/axaggerated details of distant sounds which may or may not give you a slight advantage on incoming enemies. 

I had a hard time choosing between the k712 and he 650 but on mles thread it seemed for an all rounder for gaming and music he rated the k712 higher then the hd 650.

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #11 of 12
It's good that you want to help and give advice, but it's considered very bad etiquette (on forums (and perhaps life in general)) to regurgitate the advice/opinions of others.
Please offer wisdom based on your own experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back